Anyone have Banggai cardinalfish

The Banggai cardinalfish (Pterapogon kauderni) is a small tropical cardinalfish family Apogonidae. It is the only member of its genus.[2] This attractive fish is popular in the aquarium trade. It is among the relatively few marine fish to have been bred regularly in captivity, but significant numbers are still captured in the wild and it is now an endangered species. Good news i think i have a male and female hope they breed. Does anyone else have any experience with Banggai cardinalfish? They are a interesting topic today.

Bommie

Very nice fish...I have one..got mad at him because he ate both my sexy shrimp. I know it was him because both times he ate my sexy shrimp his belly was big.

Sent from my Z740G using Tapatalk

trackfast

Princess Trainer
I have one and my daughter calls it "the cool fish"! Mine only eats frozen and not pellets/flakes. Anyone else have the same experience?

BigKev23

I have one that was the lone survivor from my friends pair that bred in his tank. He randomly found it swimming in his fuge one day.

A neat looking fish for sure. I had a pair of them for 2 years atleast. They were a cool fish to watch since they have s different swimming pattern. They would mate frequently but I never tried to do anything with there babies. They are a very easy fish to keep if they are tank raised.

youngreef

I used to have a mated pair! They ate everything gave them. The male has bigger jaws to hold the fries, after 2-3 weeks he spits them out and the babies look beautiful like their mother. The babies float around the tank or stay closer to corals. Should add a pencil urchin in your tank if you want to breed Cardinal. The long pencil urchin will protect the babies Cardinal,

I noticed they prefer frozen food over dry food. Also they love to eat the scraps of the seaweed blend I clip on for the Yellow Tang :woohoo:

fishyfish22

Premium member
I have three, they are all weirdos. why? well for one this

yes, that is them hosting my long tentacle anemone with my clownfish. no, they do not fight with each other and yes i have another pair of clownfish that are currently breeding in the other side of the tank in an RBTA.
But funny thing is only two of them, why? well i've noticed a pattern. it appears that there are two males one female. here's the interesting part, the female always stays in the anemone and alternates the two males. she gets pregnant and then transfers the eggs to a male who then swims to the other side of the tank where the other male is, once that happens the male who isn't holding the eggs swims into the anemone with the female while the other male with the eggs is off breeding them, after a while this male holds the new set of eggs and swaps with the other male who no longer has the eggs. I am unsure what happens to the fry, most likely other fish eat them but I have seen them swimming around once the male releases them. they eat pellets and frozen Mysis.

3dees

mine has been with me for over two years. still will not touch flake or pellets. the only dry food it eats is freeze dried blackworms, which it loves. good luck trying to breed them. the problem with them is if they are not a bonded pair, they often try to kill each other.

I had two males at first and then I purchased a female later. I guess the males fought over the female and one disappeared. My fish never die so I'm sure there was a battle over the girl. Now they are inseparable so I hope they breed.

Volcano1

I've had my pair a few years. They usually eat frozen sometimes freeze dried. Sometimes NLS pellets.
They host near my BTA, more like under or behind it I have had them breed 4 or 5 times. The first batch stayed in the tank, tried to raise them with limited success. They next few batches went into the overflow and into the sump. The batches were usually around 12-15. They got down to about half that over time in the sump. I have 2 100 gallon rubber aids, with live rock and macro algae. They did good, but cleaned out most of my pods. I still have one of the original babies that always stayed in the tank. It generally stays on the opposite end of the tank from the parents. Seems like a temp spike encourages spawning. They are out during the day, but seem to like to hunt for live food on the rocks at night.

The two I have have been in the same corner of the tank as of late hope they breed, I would love to share with a good video on this Thread.

Top Water

I had 3 then ended up with one . The one then lasted for years . It hunted pods in the water colume at night . I loved that fish .