Anyone interested in an Oxydator?

Hi -

Over on a nano reef forum there is discussion of an oxydator - here is a link to a website with more info:

http://www.aquariumoxygenator.com/

These seem useful, though the challenge is that these things are not available in the US so one has to buy them through a UK website - Seahorse Breeder.

The "A" model is 39.90 pounds and the "D" model 19.90 pounds. The kicker is shipping for one A is 26.76 pounds or 13.60 for the D. However, shipping for two of the A is 30.30 pounds - less than 3 pounds more than shipping just one.

I can front the money, but is anyone interested in ordering one of these and we would split and save on the shipping? I live in Lincoln Park.

Thanks in advance!

tkh

Hmm, never seen these, they sound cool - does it really bring about a noticeable added benefit? Would be curious to hear if anyone has any first hand experience with them.

From what I understand, the device which does not require any electricity/etc. increases the amount of oxygen in the water, to saturation point. The benefits would be improved water quality - and all that hopefully goes along with that.

Here is a link to a long thread of people discussing the merits of the device and also a DIY attempt.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/324974-diy-oxydator-experiment/

This type of device has been around a long time - seems to be more common with seahorse folks, but somehow not too well known on the salt water reef tank side. Albert Thiel, the guy who wrote the recent Nano Reef book, is a big advocate. If I could have bought this through amazon prime, I'd already have one, but oh what a pain to order from the UK.

tkh

Interesting read for sure, thanks for sharing. Not sure it'd be worth the cost, but it sounds cool. If I could find a cheap one, I wouldn't mind trying it!

Gary

Seems worth it to be to help keep the pH up there. This would prevent people from dosing too much alk to keep their pH up when indeed their alk is fine and they just need to open a window.

tkh

Having read through the other thread linked, apparently it doesn't help with pH - which makes sense. While allowing your tank to breathe more can help with CO2 levels (which in turn bring down pH), I believe (and could be 100% incorrect on this, have not looked into this for some time), but I believe this is partially due to allowing the CO2 to leave your tank.

In terms of additional O2 helping pH, well it doesn't, as the level of CO2 in your water is independent of the level O2 dissolved in the water. That other thread that is linked above explains it quite well a few pages in. (I had the same notion at first Gary - cool, helps water, and should help pH! Apparently not though...)

I mean, I'd love to try one out, but I think I'd pay $20 tops for one, lol.

Anyone interested in getting one at these prices? I'm not in a rush, but hoping to find some other pioneer to drive down the shipping cost per unit.

thanks!

says as of today everything is on Backorder
As far as I know, the US Distributor has never sold one of these and there is no ETA on when whatever issue is outstanding will be resolved...hence, looking for someone to split the mailing cost from the one UK distributor...