anyone is going to Michigan Coral Expo and Swap (MCES) January 27, 2013 ?

superchargedgp

The Michigan Coral Expo and Swap (MCES) is the largest reef hobby event in Michigan! MCES is again co-hosted by Mid-Michigan Marine Club (MMMC) and Grand Rapids Marine Aquarium Society (GRMAS). This year MCES will be on Sunday, January 27, 2013.

Attendance last year exceeded 650 hobbyists from across the midwest. There were 45 vendors with tanks full of outstanding corals and fish. Many also had dry goods for sale. Each year has been larger than the last and to accommodate our continued growth, this year we have moved to a larger and much nicer facility.

MCES will be in the Grand Ballroom of the Best Western Hotel located at 6820 S. Cedar Street, Lansing, Michigan 48911.

In addition to vendors from across the country, MCES will feature a mini-conference that will occur prior to and during the expo. We also will have an outstanding livestock and dry goods raffle.

7Hogwarts

Premium member
Thinking about it. I live in central Illinois. It would mean close to 10 hours of round trip driving though. But so many vendors!!!!!

Blue corals

Snow is no big deal, i'm sure they have salt and snow plows like us. I think well worth the trip, road trip for the weekend.:rockon:

bennyblanco

My in-laws live about 40 miles east of Lansing and it's really not a bad drive. They get snow but nothing more than us. 94 and I think 96(or 69) are well traveled and big roads. We make the trek once every 6 weeks or so. I've heard that this is a great event from many Michiganders. I would love to attend but we're already going to be making treks to Southern IN and Vegas in Jan already so we need to stay home for at least 1 weekend!

kickazzcorals

This is a great swap guys. I attended approx 25 swaps all over the eastern and central US last year and I can honestly say that this one ranks in the top 10. I admit that I am from the club that is holding the event and will also be a vendor at this swap (to avoid any issues)....point is, this swap has grown from 200+ attendance to over 600+ in 5 years! This year we had to expand from 5k sqft to 7500sqft just to handle the large crowds. Vendors are coming from all over the USA, lots of Michigan hobbiests who are big collectors have tables too, raffle prizes are adding up, and its in a nice hotel to accomidate travelers. The area has plenty of resturants, chain stores, gas stations, and bars within 5 min drive if needed as well.

Concerning snow...its possible. But being from the area, I can say that it hasnt been any issue (except cold) in the past 5 yrs. Being in the center of the state, Lansing typically does not get more than 2-3 storms a year dropping more than 3-5" at best. This year I will be surprised to see any accumulation at all..but ya never know right?

If you enjoy attending swaps and finding new corals...this one is worth attending.

Hope its okay I post this link... :)

http://www.michiganreefers.com/forums/announce-frag-meets-swaps/129416-michigan-coral-expo-swap-mces-january-27-2013-a.html

This is a great swap guys. I attended approx 25 swaps all over the eastern and central US last year and I can honestly say that this one ranks in the top 10. I admit that I am from the club that is holding the event and will also be a vendor at this swap (to avoid any issues)....point is, this swap has grown from 200+ attendance to over 600+ in 5 years! This year we had to expand from 5k sqft to 7500sqft just to handle the large crowds. Vendors are coming from all over the USA, lots of Michigan hobbiests who are big collectors have tables too, raffle prizes are adding up, and its in a nice hotel to accomidate travelers. The area has plenty of resturants, chain stores, gas stations, and bars within 5 min drive if needed as well.

Concerning snow...its possible. But being from the area, I can say that it hasnt been any issue (except cold) in the past 5 yrs. Being in the center of the state, Lansing typically does not get more than 2-3 storms a year dropping more than 3-5" at best. This year I will be surprised to see any accumulation at all..but ya never know right?

If you enjoy attending swaps and finding new corals...this one is worth attending.

Hope its okay I post this link... :)

http://www.michiganreefers.com/forums/announce-frag-meets-swaps/129416-michigan-coral-expo-swap-mces-january-27-2013-a.html

I'm only interested in going because of Kick Azz. They'd get most of my money. :dancing: