Anyone near Streamwood have mp40's that I can listen to?

edsbeaker

I would really like to hear what they sound like in person before buying them. I sold my Tunze's already, but I'm not sure I made the right decision. I much prefer the look of the mp40's, and am hoping they aren't as loud as some are reporting.

ColaAddict

They are freakin loud! I have 3 and I think they are too loud. It's not bad if u only use partial power

edsbeaker

They are freakin loud! I have 3 and I think they are too loud. It's not bad if u only use partial power
That's what I'm afraid of. One persons "loud" is another persons "I can live with this". I just really need to hear it to make a decision.

FishBeard

They are only loud when you put them on pulsing modes and crank them up to make waves. Otherwise, normal use like in lagoon mode, they are not that noticeable. You can hear them but learn to just tune them out.

edsbeaker

They are only loud when you put them on pulsing modes and crank them up to make waves. Otherwise, normal use like in lagoon mode, they are not that noticeable. You can hear them but learn to just tune them out.
Hi George,
When you say pulsing mode, is that when they are cycling between totally off to on repeatedly? Is reefcrest a pulsing mode? That seems like the one most people are happy with. Just hearing them would be OK, but some of these reviews make them seem really noisy.

Tethered_Limbs

reef crest doesnt pulse, it just ramps up and down. the pulses put stress on your pumps and your seams.
They hum, but its the hum of a happy tank :)

edsbeaker

reef crest doesnt pulse, it just ramps up and down. the pulses put stress on your pumps and your seams.
They hum, but its the hum of a happy tank :)
Thanks Erik,
I think if I'm not able to hear any before I order, I will still go for it. I think I will still be happier with the sound compared to how much space my Tunzes used to take up.

FishBeard

My corals seem to prefer lagoon mode over reefcrest. The lagoon mode doesnt seem to have as wide of swings from low to high speed, and seem to spend more time per program cycle at a higher rpm overall.

Basically short pulse and nutrient export modes will pulse the pump. Other than that, none of the other modes will put any major load on the motor.

edsbeaker

My corals seem to prefer lagoon mode over reefcrest. The lagoon mode doesnt seem to have as wide of swings from low to high speed, and seem to spend more time per program cycle at a higher rpm overall.

Basically short pulse and nutrient export modes will pulse the pump. Other than that, none of the other modes will put any major load on the motor.
It sounds like they are similar to the tunzes as far as pulsing modes being bad for the motor and the tank. Great info, thanks!

FishBeard

2'ish years in my possession, and they were used before I bought them, still going strong and i use both the pulsing modes i mentioned, on a weekly basis to stir up any crud in the rockwork. I wouldn't worry about wear as they use brushless dc motors on the dry side and a magnet on a water lubricated ceramic bearing on the wet side. IIRC your tank will be on hardwood floor, and pretty substantial quality build. You should have no worries about a pair of mp40's on that beast of a setup.

acasp4

A few hours ago i went to listen to a tank that had 4 mp 40s surprisingly quite even with all of them on 100%

Emisis

I have 2 40's on lagoon mode @ 50%, I can only hear the skimmer and cooling fans for LED's. If I put my ear near them (as in a few inches away) I can hear the 40's hum. I sit probably 2' away from one of them when on the net and cannot hear it at all. Although noise is subjective to the users opinion, I find them not noisy at all.

edsbeaker

2'ish years in my possession, and they were used before I bought them, still going strong and i use both the pulsing modes i mentioned, on a weekly basis to stir up any crud in the rockwork. I wouldn't worry about wear as they use brushless dc motors on the dry side and a magnet on a water lubricated ceramic bearing on the wet side. IIRC your tank will be on hardwood floor, and pretty substantial quality build. You should have no worries about a pair of mp40's on that beast of a setup.
Great, I'm feeling much better, now!

A few hours ago i went to listen to a tank that had 4 mp 40s surprisingly quite even with all of them on 100%
Now I'm feeling GREAT!!! THANKS!!!:a12:

edsbeaker

I have 2 40's on lagoon mode @ 50%, I can only hear the skimmer and cooling fans for LED's. If I put my ear near them (as in a few inches away) I can hear the 40's hum. I sit probably 2' away from one of them when on the net and cannot hear it at all. Although noise is subjective to the users opinion, I find them not noisy at all.
I'm totally convinced, now! So happy I sold the Tunze's now.

7Hogwarts

Premium member
My Mp40 was really loud too. I sent it in to Ecotech for a check up. They said that the bearings were going bad and they would replace them. It wasn't cheap either. But they gotcha.
As crazy as it might seem I think you might get a better bang for the buck with Korallia #4. You can buy multiple pumps for less $.

gig

I've got 3 MP40's on my tank, the definately dont "click", etc, you can hear some 'whirrring", but my system is pretty loud in the fishroom, with skimmer going and a couple of external pumps. On the diplay side, I dont really hear them

FishBeard

My Mp40 was really loud too. I sent it in to Ecotech for a check up. They said that the bearings were going bad and they would replace them. It wasn't cheap either. But they gotcha.
As crazy as it might seem I think you might get a better bang for the buck with Korallia #4. You can buy multiple pumps for less $.
You can actually get a whole set of better quality bearings elsewhere for a few bucks each. As long as you know someone with a press to remove and reinstall new bearings, I believe you can fix 2 mp40's for under $20

Marilyn, if you want to swing by Wednesday after 6 and hear my tank you are more than welcome to if it will help you make a decision, but I think you already know it will be the right move to go with them.

edsbeaker

You can actually get a whole set of better quality bearings elsewhere for a few bucks each. As long as you know someone with a press to remove and reinstall new bearings, I believe you can fix 2 mp40's for under $20

Marilyn, if you want to swing by Wednesday after 6 and hear my tank you are more than welcome to if it will help you make a decision, but I think you already know it will be the right move to go with them.
Thanks,
You're right, I think it is the right move. I've considered all other options and I would prefer a little humming to all other alternatives. So, yes, I think I'm sticking with them, humming or not.

Thanks for everyone's help.