Anyone run skimmerless or part time skimmer?

bennyblanco

Good Morning!
I've been struggling with some heat issues so I'm thinking about cutting back on my skimmer hours. Maybe run part time when the lights are off? Or just on the weekends? Anyone else do this? I've been running my skimmer 24/7 and have been clearing the cup about every two weeks. I also run my fuge light 24/7 but I'm thinking about cutting this back as well. I have a ton of LR in the tank, a fuge full of chaeto, use a filter sock, and run a TLF Phosban reactor. For fish I have a pair of clowns, a tiny yellow tang, a possum wrasse, a royal gramma, and a yellow watchman. The digital thermometer that I was using was on the fritz and showing a tank temp of 72 degrees so I cut the fans and cranked up the heater only to figure out that my tank was actually 85 degrees. Not only that but we've been so busy getting use to life with our baby girl Harley that I didn't catch my CA and Alk dropping and some of my sps freaked out. Gotta love it!
Brett

ColaAddict

I wouldn't go too long without a skimmer if you have a bunch of SPS. maybe part time everyday. You could try using a fan over your tank to bring down temp.

bennyblanco

Thanks Nino - I've was running fans and that seemed to do the trick before. I turned them off when I was getting some bad readings from my digi thermometer. I turned the skimmer off for the day and turned the cooling fans back on to bring the temps back down. I'll fire the skimmer back up tonight.
B

maidia

Team CR
What kind of skimmer pump are you using? Some pumps are hot when running. You can change another pump which release less heat including the return pump. Few days without skimmer is ok but not too long...

bennyblanco

I'm running a vertex in-100 in-sump skimmer and a ehiem return pump. Both could probably use a good cleaning. Any suggestions for other pumps?
Thanks!

maidia

Team CR
Ehiem is a good pump but I don't know it's release heat or not. I am using QuietOne pump and it worked for me over years.

bennyblanco

Looks like the QuietOne pumps get nice reviews! What size is a good pump for my set-up? (65 gallon with 20 gallon sump) Can't remember which pump I originally bought!

bennyblanco

I'm going to give my pumps a good cleaning as well to see if that helps. Sounds like a good fall project. Thanks Mai!