anyone uses calcium chloride for dosing calcium ?

tinman

anyone uses calcium chloride for dosing calcium ?

as the title says just wondering if there are any consistent users of this Calcium supplement.. i mixed it for the first time last nite and i think its way cheaper than regular calcium supplements i bought so far and its fairly easy so just curious to see why it isnt as popular

Bowhunter4250

i ran a 125 mixed reef for 2 years using a bag of dowflake calcium chloride , i would make a bunch of baggies with a cup of this and mix it with a gallon of R/O water , worked perfect for me , it doesn't dissolve that great in cold water so i had to keep shaking my bottle up to dissolve as much as possible , i went to a calcium reactor because i would forget top fill the bottle sometimes but other than that it worked great !

Paulip

A slight tangent, but not too bad for you DIY-selfers. I would like to bring up Dando Chemical as a potential source for magnesium.

They make the pet friendly Ice Melt and bath Flakes. Here is the pitch: " Naturally Evaporated from salt water located more than 8000 feet above sea level in the Tibetan Plateau, our bath flakes contain magnesium chloride plus other natural sea trace minerals. Lab tested showed our bath flake contain no heavy metal. Food grade magnesium chloride can be efficiently assimilated by our skin."

Somehow recovering elements from the primordial ocean really turns me on. I am hoping that somebody with the means...or experimental tank can do the analysis and testing. The 10 lb bag I have is enough to dose my tank for the next millenium.

Last edited: