Anyway to repair an acrylic skimmer body

Mike240g

Premium member
I have a Large Reef dynamics skimmer that was cracked during shipping to me from another reefer. Does anyone know someone locally in Chicago that would be able to repair this thing? Mike

View attachment 9031

Mike240g

Premium member
How would you repair it. apply the weld on to the cracks like caulk? Do you think a thin acrylic piece could be laid over the crack and bonded?

ColaAddict

You can apply weld on over the crack and also try to inject into the crack if you can. Pros use weld on to bond acrylic together to make sumps and aquariums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockhead

How would you repair it. apply the weld on to the cracks like caulk? Do you think a thin acrylic piece could be laid over the crack and bonded?
It's like water and flows into the cracks, make sure you get the applicator which comes with a needle tip on it to apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MMreef

Use weld on 4 to get it in a crack, will also look nicer and cleaner. If you use weld on 16, ( much thicker), I will work but will look ugly.

Neebles

Yeah the weldon should work fine. I had a big nasty crack in my sump and the weldon fixed it right up.

jrpark22000

Premium member
I use weldon #3, a faster setting version of #4. Both will flow well into cracks and will travel about 1/4" due do capillary action, if the crack is tight.

Mike240g

Premium member
Jeff at reef dynamics didn't think it would hold but if it works I'll have a $4k skimmer at a extremely low price.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Jeff at reef dynamics didn't think it would hold but if it works I'll have a $4k skimmer at a extremely low price.
Once you use weldon on the crack, you can always try and form a patch. If you find some thin acrylic, you can use heat to soften it enough that when laid on the outside of the skimmer body it'll flex matching the contour. Then weld the patch on using the same weldon. It's won't be pretty, but if you can get a tight fit it wouldn't leak.

Neebles

I would be worried that the silicon would have too much flex to it. If it were me I would stick to the weldon, then a patch over it if it came to that.

Mike240g

Premium member
What about epoxy gel or putty over the Weld-on? Or would there be some expansion issues that would prevent it's use?

100LL

Thanks guys, Can't hurt to try to repair this thing. Its like a $4000 skimmer.
I know most of us like to do stuff ourselves, but if it's truly a $4000 skimmer (beyond my understanding) you may want to have a professional or someone highly experienced w/ acrylics take a look and repair or at least offer their thoughts on the best solution.

Mike240g

Premium member
I am going to see what a local acrylic shop can do with it. I paid $1400 for it but it was cracked during delivery. The buyer didn't have any insurance so I'm just trying to salvage some compensation for him. At this point its worthless since Reef Dynamics quoted me $2700 just for a new body, they are outrageous.

100LL

I am going to see what a local acrylic shop can do with it. I paid $1400 for it but it was cracked during delivery. The buyer didn't have any insurance so I'm just trying to salvage some compensation for him. At this point its worthless since Reef Dynamics quoted me $2700 just for a new body, they are outrageous.
Yikes!

Neebles

For 2700 bucks that thing should be bullet proof. Makes me glad I opted for insurance on a skimmer I just sent out. Yikes.