Apex Temp Probe Issues

Tank2379

I thought I had this fixed but I guess not. My temp probe is reading 3 to 4 degrees higher than what I have it calibrated too. I have this Probe calibrated right at 78.0 and I am running this off of PM1 module and I change the probe name so it does not interfere with the other Temp probe I have on my other system. Right now I have other probes along with a Mercury Thermometer and a Finnex controlled heater with another digital thermometer all reading around 81 to 82 degrees. My probe is reading 77.5 to 78.1 since I have it set as

turn temp on : 77.5
turn temp off : 78.0

I like running my tanks kind of cool and my corals love it but lately this has been an issue for me with this darn temp probe... Anyway to fix this?

Thanks
Frankie

Where is your probe compared to your heater? I've noticed that if the probe is close to the heater, it may read too high, but if it is too far away, particularly in the return section of the sump, it could read too low. Or it could just be a bad probe. I had a PH Probe that would not calibrate properly no matter what I did.

jrpark22000

Premium member
I use 5 temp probes, the one on my pico almost touches the heater and none have the problem you describe. I calibrate them all every couple months using the same precision thermometer.

If you are certain the probe always reads high by the same amount, you could just calibrate it lower using the known offset. Otherwise I’d recommend posting a topic on Neptune’s support forum.

Tank2379

I have my Probe in the return section and my heater in the overflow porition of the sump. Not sure if that makes a difference since it's reading 77.5 and 78.2 in the return- I wouldn't think it would be a heat issue with return pump being in that part of the sump. Also my tank is 80G only and I have a 500W heater on this thing not sure if that way too much for this size tank?