Apex Temp Probe

r33fswagg3r

Premium member
I have had my Apex plugged in for a couple of days but just now had the opportunity to plug the temp probe in. Before plugging the temp probe in the display had read 20.5 and now that it's plugged in it still reads 20.5. Suggestions? Any ideas?

DD

"Rambo"
Well I think Mai is correct.

If you take 20.5X9/5+32 you come up with 68.9 degrees fahrenheit although that seems to be quite low unless your heater is set incorrectly, or it's simply not functioning and the tank is at room temp which at this time of the year, just under 70 makes sense.

Don't ask me how I remember the conversion formula considering how bad I am with math.

Try this first: go into your display unit, click on "setup", scroll down to temp setup, then you scroll down and there should be an option to enable the probe.

What you can do is calibrate the apex temp probe, but it would require you to get a standalone thermometer to measure the actual water temp. Once you get a baseline, you can then calibrate the probe through the display unit, through your pc/mac web dashboard, or through fusion (although I have no idea how to use fusion to calibrate probes just yet).

ETA: Fourth sentence

if all else fails, you may just need to unplug it and plug it back in, or go through the dashboard.

Last edited:

maazreef

Well I think Mai is correct.

If you take 20.5X9/5+32 you come up with 68.9 degrees fahrenheit although that seems to be quite low unless your heater is set incorrectly, or it's simply not functioning and the tank is at room temp which at this time of the year, just under 70 makes sense.

Don't ask me how I remember the conversion formula considering how bad I am with math.

Try this first: go into your display unit, click on "setup", scroll down to temp setup, then you scroll down and there should be an option to enable the probe.

What you can do is calibrate the apex temp probe, but it would require you to get a standalone thermometer to measure the actual water temp. Once you get a baseline, you can then calibrate the probe through the display unit, through your pc/mac web dashboard, or through fusion (although I have no idea how to use fusion to calibrate probes just yet).

ETA: Fourth sentence

if all else fails, you may just need to unplug it and plug it back in, or go through the dashboard.
+1 what I did to setup my temp probe on apex was use my old school thermometers digital and the mercury ones from my other tanks and calibrated it accordingly.

r33fswagg3r

Premium member
My apologies for not being more clear, Neptune says in all setup instructions that the temp probe does not need to be calibrated and that it is done so from the factory. I was not trying to calibrate it. I have had a heater with its own temp probe plugged in since day one, completely separate from the Apex. My display before plugging in the Apex Temp Probe read 20.5, my display after plugging in the temp probe still read 20.5. Did this atleast half a dozen times. I did make sure the temp probe was enabled via the aquacontroller. I went into setup and changed it to display Fahrenheit instead of Celcius as well when I was troubleshooting, still no change in the displayed temp. I went into calibration and tried to changed the calibration and the highest it will allow me to change it to is 35 before it resets to 0 again, so I put it back to the 20.5. Probe could very well be bad, however, why will the Aquacontroller not display Fahrenheit temp and when trying to calibrate will it not allow me to go higher than 35.0 before it resets back to 0.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Sounds like a malfunction. I'd check out the Apex Forum and see what the control freaks think about it.