Aptasia problem

Jep21

Hello everyone,

Recently i’ve gotten the reef bug again after a couple months of just having my tank go on cruise control. As of a couple days ago I finally did a water change and did some tank maintenance and found that I have some aptasia issiues which is the first problem of three I am tackling and they seem to be in various locations in my tank..

Tank before maintenance

Tank after maintenance

Was wondering what is the best solution for getting rid of aptasia in reef safe way.. If i must will utilize chemicals last.

Tank is a 25g innovative marine lagoon tank.

Thanks for your help,
Jep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Can't really tell if you have aptasia in the tank, are you talking about the coralline algae? If its truly aptasia get some nudis or peppermint shrimp. My buddy was going to restart his 250 due to a massive aptasia outbreak, but after putting in 20 nudis I can't even tell he had aptasia.

Jep21

Can't really tell if you have aptasia in the tank, are you talking about the coralline algae? If its truly aptasia get some nudis or peppermint shrimp. My buddy was going to restart his 250 due to a massive aptasia outbreak, but after putting in 20 nudis I can't even tell he had aptasia.
Im just putting the before and after picture after maintenance but aside from coraline, I have clumps of hair algae, bubble algae and tiny aptasia. Its hard to take a picture cause of the led lights but they basically are all over the rocks on some of the coral frags.. Besides nudis is there any other alternatives and do you happen to know where he got the nudis from?

Jep21

I used to squirt lemon juice on them via syringe but I have 50% success doing that

Reefaholic

Premium member
Yeah I would go with pepper mint shrimp or Nudi. I used a single peppermint shrimp before and he cleaned up a biocube in about a week.

Fish_wiz2

Bergia nudi's were 100% for me, while I'm 0% with peppermints. The nudi's are expensive and for good reason, some have success with peppermints but I can't vouch for them after numerous attempts. They come into AquaPro's once in a blue moon but I went in on a group buy a long time ago when I needed them for my big tank.

Jep21

Do you guys know any good online retailer for buying aiptasia eating nudi branch?

wrasse

aiptasia eating filefish work great I had a pair and sold them here and i think they have been sold a few times again. they work great.
You can get a pair from liveaquara also.

nperri

Premium member
I have gotten a couple aptasias here and there. I picked up some Aptasia-X and just squirt a bit on them when I see them. It seems to work pretty well and I haven't noticed any harm at all to nearby corals. I have only ever seen a couple pop up and sprayed them quick. Seems to have solved the issue!

Tmyboy

I've always had great luck with 4 peppermint shrimp and a Fox face to be honest. I know it sounds weird to saya foxface helped control them, but the after 8yrs, it passed and that's when i started having issues. I've had more problems with Mojano's then aiptasia tho. Biggest tip.....DONT LET THEM GET OUT OF HAND! If you see one, kill it right away. I've seen friends tanks get over-run by them because he didn't address the problem promptly.