Aquascape cement?

bulldog0407

Premium member
I have been seeing a few people online that use Hydrolic Cement to bond together smaller dry rock instead of the JB Weld 2 part. Any have any experience with it? Trying to find something to hold together some smaller rocks.

Ryan

jrpark22000

Premium member
I have used two types of hydraulic cement. First experience was with E-marco 400 from marco rocks. It’s a light gray powder you mix with the acrylic binder. All my major rock work is done with it. It is expensive, but you can get it in usable amounts.

I then purchased BASF Emaco s88ci mortar and Acryl 60 from a guy on RC. You can only get it in huge bags, so he was selling off what he didn't need. It does have fiberglass reinforcing in the mortar. Same mixing procedure and I've done several small rock projects with it.

Both are easy peasy, just make a firm dry mix. Then stick it to either dry or wet LR. I let mine cure in air for 24 hours before adding water, but it shouldn't be necessary.

jrpark22000

Premium member
This was what was used from the other link I read. It was from lowes.View attachment 7843

So I guess cement are safe @jrpark2200?
I remember a lot of debate on the topic of which mortar to use when I was researching. The point of debate is if the mortar is directly marketed and labeled as potable. Many people argued it isn't necessary, while I went the safe route and made sure to get mortar that is labeled potable, NSF 61. Quickrete water stop isn't. http://www.quikrete.com/PDFs/DATA_SHEET-Hydraulic Water-Stop Cement 1126.pdf

Tkroll0321

Premium member
This was what was used from the other link I read. It was from lowes.View attachment 7843

So I guess cement are safe @jrpark2200?
This is what I'm currently using although have not had it in there long enough to make any claim as to long term effects. I did a lot of reading and found enough people had used it without any issues that I felt comfortable as well.

My biggest thing was that no one against it had any first hand experience with it failing just reasons they decided against using it. I will report back down the road with how it works in my tank. But I can confirm it is a joy to build with.