Ashton's Summer Build

ashtree68

This summer's project is designing and building a tank from scratch and the parts I have around my apartment, it is still very much in the planning stages and need some advice on some aspects of it.

I want to build a tank with approximate dimensions as follows: 18x14x19 (~20 gallons). I want there to be as little wires/mess in it so I am going to try and avoid any power heads inside the tank so my flow will be done entirely by my return pump. The tank will be drilled through the bottom and drain down into my 24/90g system (Total volume ~150 with this tank).

My current thoughts on the over flow/drilling is to have a hole drilled in the middle and have the return pump come up through that, then have rocks piled around it so you can't see the pipe. (Think kind of like a volcano) I plan on using black pvc pipe and possibly attaching rubble/sand to it to help it blend in more with the LR against it. Since I don't want to have power heads and such in the tank, if I drill holes along the pipe this will allow water to come out the sides as well to help have some flow. Down sides to this I see is if I ever loose power it will drain down to the lowest hole which my sump would be able to hold but not good for the tank.

For the overflow/drain I was thinking of in one of the corners (or maybe add a back overflow section similar to those on the JBJ's) and just a standard overflow. I'm still looking into these because I want this to be a quiet as possible.

Instead of regular bulk heads I was thinking about trying BRS's "Uniseal Bulkhead Alternative" (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...ad-alternative), the reviews are all good, and it seems like it would be an easy alternative to standard bulkheads.

I am still up in the air on stocking, but right now I am thinking about doing an interesting pair of clowns/a cool and different BTA lit by a PAR38 LED, but keep going back and forth on this and if I want to do something else (already have a big 'nem island on one of my tanks). I wouldn't mind doing a NPS tank, but like I said not 100% on stocking. I want something active and interesting, but not something you see everyday.

First set of questions:

1) How thick of glass should I use so I don't have to worry about it bowing and breaking?

2) Does my return pump plan sound like it could make sense or am I thinking about it wrong? I know there will be higher flow the lower the holes because of water pressure, and such so I'll drill fewer holes on the bottom and more on top plus will have the top cover just in case.

2b) What type of drain set up is the best? Right now on my different set ups I have one PVC over flow that goes up and over and is a PITA and wont' ever do again, one of them is drilled through the back with a 90 degree elbow sticking up which I like but want it drilled through the bottom. Could I just have a pipe going straight down to the sump or would that give a waterfall sound? And on the 90 system I have a PVC pipe that comes up and then has a upside down U shape the drains down and has been silent which works great. Maybe try the pipe and if that is loud ad the upside down U piece?

3) Has anyone used Uniseals before? Good/Bad etc?

4) Other stocking ideas?

5) Anything else that is missing or just sounds like no, this will not work at all?

Thanks in advanced for the help and information.

ashtree68

Here's the plan so far, very basic design.

Dimensions are 18"x14"x19" with a 3/4" drain and a 1/2" return. 1 1/4" holes will be drilled to fit the BRS Uniseals, and I'm going to fill the overflow chamber (Blue) with live rubble and leave a gap on the top/bottom for pods and such to live and enter the DT. Glass will be 1/4" thick, a bit overkill from what I've read for this size tank but better safe than sorry. The return pipe will come up about 10" and will be drilled pointing towards the corner opposite of the drain to help eliminate dead spots. Stocking is still going to be a 'nem and clowns but that may change once I actually get the rock and everything in there, but still plan on using a Par38 bulb for lighting.

Piscinarii

This looks awesome but I have trouble hanging a picture so I won't provide any thoughts other than good luck! :)