Attn Chicago Divers - volunteer trip to Coral Restoration Foundation in Key Largo!

poidog

can't beat that at all. Do we rent a van or what?
I was assuming that if you fly in with someone (as we all probably won't be on the same flight) you can split the car rental with that person, otherwise you'll have to get a car at the airport.

Is your estimate diver fee include "gear rental" as I can imagine not all divers have a bcd, regulators, tanks that they are lugging around. Also what airline on those flights, i cant find anything under 350.
That is not with gear rental. The estimate is just an approximate as of now.

Lowest flights I found Thurs to Tues are:
Spirit $188
Airtran $223

gomery12

I am 75% a go at this point. Wife has asked for work off (that's the other 25%). Here's the deal, if she can't get off she will most likely let me go it alone. In that case, I would be in on the rental, car, etc with the group. If we turn it into a vacation then obviously I am with her in a rental with a car, etc, but will be definitely be hanging with the group while your there. I am currently doing my advanced Padi online and hopefully can get in my required dives in the next month and a half before they stop for the season. Hoping, only need a full weekend to do it. My other hobbies besides diving, reefing, Jeeping, golfing, and my kids is that I love to cook too! That can save a lot when your down on vacation! I also have a friend that runs a fishing business in local Islamorda for 4. It's something I could look at if their is interest! Keys fishing not deep water. Here's the website http://flyfishingislamorada.com/ Anyway that's where I am at.

poidog

Alright all, We need to firm up commitments this week and deposits will have to start being collected by next week. There was a lot of interest but now is the time to commit if you want to go. We need to start making plans so that we can secure our spot with the CRF, housing rental, dive operators early flight cots, etc. Deposits are needed to secure your commitment, housing rental deposit (if doing shared accommodations), and dive operator deposit. If we do not have at least 6 commitments be the end of the week we will have to pull the plug and possibly revisit it at another time.

gomery12

I am a definite go, without the wife, so in with the group. I will be advanced open water by the time we go. (Oct).
Also hopefully will have my own gear by then, just got a new wetsuit for up here and may take it with since it will be a little chilly in the keys that time of year. Henderson's aqualock if anyones interested. Am looking at the Aqualung Dimension i3 and aqualung legend lx reg. Top of the list at this point. Then the aqaulung oct, and dive computer im up in the air on.

poidog

Looks like this will not be happening. We only got 4 firm commitments, and we need a minimum of 6 to scheduled the trip.

I will see if there is a grout that I can join in May sometime if anyone is interested in tagging along then, but it looks like we do not have the commitments for a Chicago-only volunteer group.

Navycook2

you know me!!! Im in for may lol!! sucks and itll give me more time to get fun money too!! I.E. more dives lol

Greg

So anyone still interested in this?
I am definitely going, likely multiple times, about 2 months from now.

Probably going late July just for 2 days somewhere to get some saltwater dives in at a different location (dive just for fun) before doing their small cert program

fwadiver

I'd probably be in for later in the summer, I would want to drive down so i can bring my own gear because i'll likely want to hit peacock springs as well.

Greg

Jump in my class, i think theres one opening. July 6,7 class/pool. July 13/14 quarry. After this class, next is in early august. Most other places first available times are late july/early august.
250 full openwater cert. Have to buy fins mask, snorkel though. Rest of rentals included. Plus 20$/day entry to quarry and 8/fill air.

Jump in my class, i think theres one opening. July 6,7 class/pool. July 13/14 quarry. After this class, next is in early august. Most other places first available times are late july/early august.
250 full openwater cert. Have to buy fins mask, snorkel though. Rest of rentals included. Plus 20$/day entry to quarry and 8/fill air.
I would if I wasn't going to be out of town both of those weekends.