Automated daily water change

pwfish

So... I wanted a automated daily water change, I’m very busy lately and I don’t have much time to do a weekly water changes.
On my system, I want to change out about 9 gal a week.
Originally I wanted to use a second Tunze Osmolator to do water change...just turn off one and turn on the other....
but while researching I found very simple solution.

All you need to use is:
- Controller (apex)
- Second osmolator pump
- Small 80gph submersible water pump
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EWENKXO/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Project box
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011HJ32TS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- DPDT relay
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JCQFJO/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- ¼ vinyl tubbibg
- 20awg wire cord
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SYDH97M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is how it works .
1)You turn the Osmolator off
View attachment 19963
2)Turn the submersible water pump on to pump the tank water out.
View attachment 19965
3)Turn the relay on
View attachment 19964
4) turn the osmolator on to pump fresh saltwater in
5) turn the relay off, your freshwater ato is now on till next time.

View attachment 19966

View attachment 19971

View attachment 19972

View attachment 19968

View attachment 19969

View attachment 19970

If you are on the fence about a Osmolator... which is in my opinion a awesome ATO.... with a few extra parts, you can also automate your water changes. Just keep in mind though that the Osmolator will only run for 10 minutes and then shut down, so make a sure that saltwater osmolator pump makes up the difference.
I've been running this set up for over a months and I love it.

Irsug1

Premium member
Cool idea. I don't understand how the osmoslators are controlled with a single power from the relay to the apex db8?

pwfish

View attachment 19975

Relay is a basically switch redirecting power from osmolator power box between ato pump and fresh saltwater pump.

Here is a quick video where they are explaining how relay works.

[video=youtube;kt-4jJvYvzI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt-4jJvYvzI[/video]

Irsug1

Premium member
Thanks, so there are actually 2 plugs going to the apex correct? 1 for the relay and 1 for power to the pumps?

ultimatemj

Nice work,

I've been pondering something similar for a while...here's a couple of things to think about:
1) failsafes - a) low level sensors for salt reservoir b) too high level in sump c) salinity range d) time range, etc.....all would interrupt and send alarm txt or mail.
2) nutrient export - IMO one of the primary benefits of a water change is getting the detritus out. So, add another subroutine to turn a Feed mode on (turning off return pump, skimmer, etc), turn a power head on/off/on/off pulsing in the sump to stir detritus up...then water change removing suspended detritus, and finally feed mode off.

Thanks for sharing what you've done!

pwfish

Nice work,

I've been pondering something similar for a while...here's a couple of things to think about:
1) failsafes - a) low level sensors for salt reservoir b) too high level in sump c) salinity range d) time range, etc.....all would interrupt and send alarm txt or mail.
2) nutrient export - IMO one of the primary benefits of a water change is getting the detritus out. So, add another subroutine to turn a Feed mode on (turning off return pump, skimmer, etc), turn a power head on/off/on/off pulsing in the sump to stir detritus up...then water change removing suspended detritus, and finally feed mode off.

Thanks for sharing what you've done!
Yes, those are good ideas especially extra power head in the sump to stir detritus.
For salt water reservoir I use 35gal brute can which I have to refile every couple weeks to make a sure its' full.

ultimatemj

I travel a week a month, so the failsafes are critical for me....

Been thinking about a partial (less complex) implementation to start with, that would be manually triggered (button to the break out box) so I can run a handful of changes and stabilize the process.

Thanks for getting me thinking about it again!

jrpark22000

Premium member
I've actually done similar, had it running on a pico for well over a year. Instead of all the complication of the two pumps and relay, which still aren't guaranteed to move the same amount of water as they can turn at slightly different speeds, I went with a MasterFlex pumps and two pump heads. Ebay they can be cheap and are both on the same drivesahft.

pwfish

I've actually done similar, had it running on a pico for well over a year. Instead of all the complication of the two pumps and relay, which still aren't guaranteed to move the same amount of water as they can turn at slightly different speeds, I went with a MasterFlex pumps and two pump heads. Ebay they can be cheap and are both on the same drivesahft.
Actually the amount of water is exactly the same because it is controlled by osmolator optical sensor. Using MasterFlex pumps is a another different way to do it, but more expensive especially for someone who is already using Tunze ATO.

Bowhunter42

I have my system set up to do 20 gallons weekly , with only 2 pumps , and my apex ..... very simple i figured out how many gallons each are pumping out at different locations and head pressure , set my times for on / off , program my apex to shut down the ATO and im all good ! all i do is turn the valve for my water line to fill either my mix tank or my top off tank ? both have float switches ran thru apex to fill tanks and shut off water when full ! pretty much maintenance free system other than testing and enjoying my tank

pwfish

I have my system set up to do 20 gallons weekly , with only 2 pumps , and my apex ..... very simple i figured out how many gallons each are pumping out at different locations and head pressure , set my times for on / off , program my apex to shut down the ATO and im all good ! all i do is turn the valve for my water line to fill either my mix tank or my top off tank ? both have float switches ran thru apex to fill tanks and shut off water when full ! pretty much maintenance free system other than testing and enjoying my tank
For me, automated water change is the best improvement I've done to my tank. Stable water par and more time to enjoy my tank for sure.