Back in...but stuck in Indianapolis Reef HELL!

edsbeaker

Hi to all! :fish:
After a 3 year hiatus I am getting back in with a new tank. The only problem is that I am living in the Indianapolis area where there is virtually NO reefing community. Luckily, I still have friends and family in the Chicago burbs, and since I visit regularly, I will be getting the majority of my livestock back there. I'm hoping to buy back some frags of my favorite pieces from those of you that may be selling what you purchased from me! :a26: So, if nobody minds a Hoosier joining in, I will be a frequent visitor to this site. It's good to be back.

Last edited:

trackfast

Princess Trainer
Hi to all! ��
After a 3 year hiatus I am getting back in with a new tank. The only problem is that I am living in the Indianapolis area where there is virtually NO reefing community. Luckily, I still have friends and family in the Chicago burbs, and since I visit regularly, I will be getting the majority of my livestock back there. I'm hoping to buy back some frags of my favorite pieces from those of you that may be selling what you purchased from me! �� So, if nobody minds a Hoosier joining in, I will be a frequent visitor to this site. It's good to be back.
Hi Marilyn ! Welcome back ! You know where I am so LMK when you'll be in the area.

jrwoltman

Thanks! You would think after 4-5 rounds of getting back in, I would be smart enough to save my equipment....but, NO!
Marilyn, this is only my second jump back into the ocean (started back in May), and I am still kicking myself for all the things I sold cheaply and gave away. :frown:

Sigh,

Jim

maidia

Team CR
Hi to all! :fish:
After a 3 year hiatus I am getting back in with a new tank. The only problem is that I am living in the Indianapolis area where there is virtually NO reefing community. Luckily, I still have friends and family in the Chicago burbs, and since I visit regularly, I will be getting the majority of my livestock back there. I'm hoping to buy back some frags of my favorite pieces from those of you that may be selling what you purchased from me! :a26: So, if nobody minds a Hoosier joining in, I will be a frequent visitor to this site. It's good to be back.
Welcome back, I believe [MENTION=1277]jrpark22000[/MENTION] (owner of this forum) is from Indiana too...

Hey there, I'm a Hoosier too, I live in Terre haute(an hour south west of Indy), I feel ya on not as much going on here as up in Chicago. But I've met some nice people from Chicago and traded/bought stuff from people up there. Check out INDMAS site, we got a frag swap coming up at the end of march and it's definitely worth going to. This is one of my favorite forums though because of the nice people and all the activity on it.

edsbeaker

Hey there, I'm a Hoosier too, I live in Terre haute(an hour south west of Indy), I feel ya on not as much going on here as up in Chicago. But I've met some nice people from Chicago and traded/bought stuff from people up there. Check out INDMAS site, we got a frag swap coming up at the end of march and it's definitely worth going to. This is one of my favorite forums though because of the nice people and all the activity on it.

Thanks for this. I will check it out.
My tank isn't set up yet, I don't even have it yet, so I can't buy any corals at the frag swap, but I'm likely to drop by to see what's available around here.

I have a lot of sps's also and I normally have frags avalible. Get ahold of me after u get everything all set up if u want some sps's. I've got eaiser to hard ones to keep.

edsbeaker

Saving equipment is great , but getting new is fun too.
Besides, we always upgrade in the end.
It's not much fun when you are getting the identical items that you sold for 30-50% off! I'm replacing 2 mp10's, a classic apex, WMX, and a Reef Octopus SRO 1000 skimmer for starters.:fish-head-smash:
Ah, but this time I was going to start with a 30 Gallon and caught myself and am getting a slightly larger one from the start, 56 gallons. I knew I wouldn't be happy without a couple of dwarf angels, and the 30G would have been tight.

gonebad395

Welcome back Indiana here also but only 20 mins from downtown Chicago. Ever pass through let me know I can help out with a few corals also once tank is up

jrpark22000

Premium member
Thanks Mai. I saw that about jrpark22000.
Welcome back to the hobby! Yeah, there are quite a few of us up in NWI. Too bad Lake County (IN) taxes like IL does... too damm close to IL, HA!

Indy is only a 2.5-3 hr drive so it's not too bad depending on how backed up i-65 is.

edsbeaker

Welcome back Indiana here also but only 20 mins from downtown Chicago. Ever pass through let me know I can help out with a few corals also once tank is up
Thanks so much!

I just ordered the tank today. It probably won't get here until the third week of March, so it will be awhile. In the mean time,
My dry rock and RODI system comes on Thursday, so I think I'll go find me a brute container and find out if the rock is leaching phosphates. It's BRS's reef saver, which I have read doesn't typically have much of an issue...fingers crossed.

edsbeaker

Welcome back to the hobby! Yeah, there are quite a few of us up in NWI. Too bad Lake County (IN) taxes like IL does... too damm close to IL, HA!

Indy is only a 2.5-3 hr drive so it's not too bad depending on how backed up i-65 is.
Yeah, we specifically moved to Indianapolis because the IL taxes were killing us. ? It's all been worth it EXCEPT for the lack of the big reefing community... I think I miss that more then my grandkids! ?

I guess the upside is my money won't be spent as quickly since I'm further away from the corals. ?

jrpark22000

Premium member
Yeah, we specifically moved to Indianapolis because the IL taxes were killing us. �� It's all been worth it EXCEPT for the lack of the big reefing community... I think I miss that more then my grandkids! ��

I guess the upside is my money won't be spent as quickly since I'm further away from the corals. ��
Agreed, I really like Indy. the weather is milder yet you still get winter. Taxes are much better, it's a big city providing pretty much anything you need access to and plenty to do. Too bad we've too much family up here and futerht north in Mi.

Enjoy spending the IL tax mans money on coral!