Bacteria dosing

Siebo

Premium member
I saw mention of this in another thread and have read a lot about introducing bacteria on a regular basis in established tanks., Most seem to report positive results for help with NO3 (nitrogen cycle) and PO4.

Who is dosing what and why? What are the results?

SkullV

I dose Microbacter7, I don't believe it helps with any type of regular algae but it does seem to help (eliminate) with the cyano that is sometimes common with carbon dosing. When I don't dose Microbacter7 for a few days, like on vacation, I get some cyano in my sump. When I dose the Microbacter7 it takes around 48 hours for the cyano to disappear and it never comes back as long as I keep dosing. It also makes the water unbelievably clear for around 30 min right after I dose, not sure what is causing that though.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I also dose mb7. I get some strange cyano-ish stuff from my biopellets if I don't dose and fall behind on water changes. However, when I dose it, I get a little greenish looking cyano-ish stuff.

Like Ted said, it makes your water unbelievably clear.

riv

Premium member
I started dosing dr.tims waste away. I had big cyno outbreak. It is going away n my Sps are happier now. Actually all my corals are happier.

Siebo

Premium member
I started dosing Biodigest a week ago Sunday. I started this to see if it would do anything for the PO4. My tank has tested at 0 for nitrates with a Red Sea kit and around .17-.23 on PO4 on a Hanna. I dosed a week ago Sunday and also this past Sunday. What I am finding out is that about 48 hours after I dose Biodigest the PO4 drops to .02 from .2. I have double checked the testing. Then through the week the PO4 slowly climbs back up and I dosed it again this Sunday. The same thing happen again 48 hours later (today) PO4 was .02 this morning.

I think what is happening is my BP's have stripped the Nirates out and causing a small imbalance between PO4 and NO3. When I dose the bacteria the NO3 number is going up to .25 from 0 and feeding on the PO4 causing it to drop.

So I think I may slow the flow on to BP's to bump the NO3 up a little and continue dosing biodigest to supplement bacteria.

Thoughts? am I off my rocker here?