Bad Electrical Problem!!! Help please!

Vapour1ze

Morning

So - for the past week I've ran into a number of electrical problems, and been electrocuted enough to be ready to just tear down my reef.

I have a 220, with a fishroom in the basement. Going on 4 years strong. Lot of my favorite fish so I would hate to tear it down.

But - About a week ago, my knuckle hit the water and got a bit of a zap.... Thought weird, but we know that open cuts sometimes feel like being electrocuted when first reaching into reef water for the first time.... I went on and went to change my skimmer cup, touched some of the foam, weird electricity feeling again... Had dad (Jack of all trades) come over and look into it. He felt a weird buzz too, then put his finger in and was fine, so I did same and fine.... Not sure if it's momentary or what? (heater ? ) -

Anyway, fast forward to last night, we had a brown out, I lost one of my EB8's on my APEX. Real bad burning smell, everything on the eb8 was not getting power. Bypassed that and now have things running. However - when moving my apex display cable last night, yes the thin usb cable that is coated in rubber, I just touched the cable and got jolted pretty bad! Since then I haven't touched anything. I'm afraid to. My Apex WXM module is down, so my XR30's and MP40s are currently not running a schedule and in full manual. I'm afraid to try to diagnose anything without being electrocuted and have no idea which way to turn. Ready to just pull the plug and tear it all down. Anyone care to shed some light?

Would be greatly appreciated!!!

GugsJr

TeamCR
Unplug all electrical items and remove them from all outlets and the tank.

Get a 5 gallon bucket of water and fill it with water.

Get a voltmeter and put both the black and red into the water see what your reading is and write it down.

Take your electrical items that go into the tank, ie. pumps, heaters, power heads and place them into the 5 gallon bucket of water 1 at a time and plug them in.

Take the reading of each item with the Volt meter. Any items that has a reading different from the original number when you had nothing in the bucket is bad.

Anything from 3V and plus.

One of your items has an electrical short.

Also make sure the heater has the red led on when you test it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Vapour1ze

Thanks, never new you could put a FLUKE into water to test voltage. I actually just put the probe in the tank and I had 120 VOLTS!!!! :O

Anyway, it ended up being one of my 3 Skimz Skimmer pumps.

Thanks for the reply.

GugsJr

TeamCR
Thanks, never new you could put a FLUKE into water to test voltage. I actually just put the probe in the tank and I had 120 VOLTS!!!! :O

Anyway, it ended up being one of my 3 Skimz Skimmer pumps.

Thanks for the reply.
Glad you found it

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk