bad salt

Navycook2

Can salt go bad? like if moisture got in the salt bucket and made the salt hard. if you scraped it out would the salt be bad at that point? Im trying to do a water change and in my brute can its been three days and a little salt has not dissolved. I used some of the top water to had to my tank as i took out some live rock and my water is a little cloudy. Could this be a result of that salt?

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I ususally have a small amount of sediment at the bottom of my brute can. Personally, If I had some salt that clumped up from moisture, I'd still use.

Navycook2

Thanks Jen that makes a lot of sense!! Im wondering if the new additive that i bought is what makes the cloudiness appear its called fuel by aquavitro I dont use limewater or Kalk so that wouldnt make it cloudy. But that article was very good!!

m.miller1547

I use fuel as well. It doesn't cloud my tank tho. My salt hardens because I leave the often wet scoop in the bag. I still use it. Good luck with cloudy water.

Navycook2

so got new salt today and got home right after to find My purple bonzai bleached out and my strawberry shortcake may have 95 percent bleached out not sure on that one i got it white and was just starting to color up!! so im in a super need of a water change!! In your opinion whats the least amount of time i can wait for salt to dissolve with out burning the corals!? thanks guys!!

markitekt

I've always just stirred the salt in the bucket with my arm and use it right away, without negative effects.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
You need to let it sit so the pH comes down. It's always very high right after its mixed. You can add it to your tank as soon as the pH stablizes.

Navycook2

i did a Ph test before i put the 1/2 of new salt in I had half the old salt in for a couple days so my ph was at around 8.4

tinman

ok Bringing back this thread to life,

the question actually asked by OP is a very valid one, even i used to use clumped up sand and always though thats fine

but was talking to Glenn (aquarium adventures) day before yesterday and he said Clumped up salt changes its chemistry and it should not be used.

was still researching on my own but thought might post it here.

Pufferpunk

We're only talking about it become moist & hard. Nothing harmful about that. Been tossing in hard chunks to my mixing bucket for years...