Bangaii cardinals

SaylorsReef

I believe they are fine by themselves. Two males fight. Not sure about two females. Apparently I have two males. :(

EyeReef

Thanks Brenda... Ive read the ora has better survival rate..anywhere else carries ora bangaii besides petco?

I know living sea has a sale on them.. Curious if they are wild caught or ora

SaylorsReef

Thanks Brenda... Ive read the ora has better survival rate..anywhere else carries ora bangaii besides petco?

I know living sea has a sale on them.. Curious if they are wild caught or ora

Don't know about Living Sea. I got mine at Midwest Coral Farm. They are captive bred, but not by ORA. You may want to give them a call. I love that place!

ColaAddict

I have a Bangaii that killed 2 other bangaiis that I tried to introduce to the tank. Darn things are territorial as heck. Anyways, I was just at Midwest Coral the other day and they don't have any Bangaii for sale. I did see a bunch of small bangaii at the LFS on Waukegan Rd in Deerfield.

IFbettas

It's fine if you only keep one banggai. I've been breeding them for a while now, and I've always had bad luck getting pairs that would get along. They always ended up fighting, but now I have a successful pair who gives me babies every 1-2 months.

Here's some of my little guys:

IFbettas

Welcome to Chicago Reefs Marcus!

How do you tell males from females? Can you determine the sex of your babies yet?
Thanks!

It's pretty difficult to sex them, but the male has larger jaws and has a slightly different body shape from the female. I'll try to get some pictures of the parents up here soon.

I can't really tell the sex of the babies yet. Honestly, it's hard enough to tell the parents apart.

IFbettas

Does the female lay on a surface or in the water column? These are really interesting fish, lfbettas so you sell you captive bred babies?
She releases a big clump of eggs which stay attached to her until the male fertilizes them. He then scoops them up immediately. The whole process takes around 30 seconds.

Yeah, I sell or trade the babies. :)