Barely hanging on to reefing....

Well folks, this is the second time I have managed to wipe out over $1000 worth of sps and lps (bleeding apples,scoly's.)This time my Maxspect 130 failed while away at work and when I came home 4 days later everything rtn'd with only return flow working which is basically no flow. I was so disgusted, I couldn't walk by the tank for over a month. I had purchased some beautiful LE sps from Dave at Aquapros and Mario at Aquatica and was thrilled to see them encrust and color up quickly. I had everything extremely healthy and was going to make a big sps purchase with sawdonkey to finish filling the tank when the pump failed.

Algae and cyano set in.....I couldn't log in to the reef forums for a while since it was painful looking at such beautiful healthy tanks like mine use to be. After a while I finally was tired of looking at the tank deteriorate more and set in to reset it. Fixed flow issues by getting rid of the Maxspect and went back to vortech with battery backup. Algae issues( high po4 and no3) were smothering my surviving rainbow montipora( which are bulletproof btw) and I couldn't kick it with water changes and used Gfo very sparingly and bleached the rainbow severely(sigh). I purchased a IM reactor and put in 1/8th of dr. Tims Biopellets and I'm finally climbing out of the hole and the tank is recovering. The montipora is regaining color and algae is slowing receding. I won't increase the Biopellets and will stay at the current level as it seems to be a sweet spot with nutrients. This will be my third and last time....I will be purchasing sps very slowly to make sure they settle in and encrust before moving forward. Even though my previous husbandry was pretty anal, I'm not fooling around this time. Those two crashes caused a great deal of stress as I can't stand killing anything and took a lot of joy out of this hobby. The pride I had when the tank was healthy and sps were extremely colorful is the reason I'm giving it another chance so I can experience it again. I'm hoping aquatic experience reignites my passion a little. I have to say, my heart goes out to anyone who has gone through a tank crash. It is devastating!

Nick

That's a very good point topwater and I have been looking for a reefing buddy near me so I can protect my investment and vise versa......no one near my neck of the woods. Pretty bummed about my prized JF flame I grabbed from you as well....how is the orange passion doing?

madjoe

Premium member
I feel ya brotha i feel ya just recovering myself and almost quit again yesterday with all that went wrong in one day

Last edited:

jrpark22000

Premium member
I have to say, my heart goes out to anyone who has gone through a tank crash. It is devastating!
Nick
I have to say, everyone goes through these crashes and worse. No one is free from it, everyone has the same problems given enough time. The real curse is the inability to give up and keep it going. That's not to say it's not gut wrenching every time it happens, I can't count how many times I've wondered if everything will die or not.

It's great to hear you're hanging in there. Keep your chin up :D

Smitty

Premium member
I'm truly sorry to hear that, and I applaud you for hanging in there. Like mentioned, we all have gone thru a crash or great loss. But knowing we have a strong support system here amongst this group is what makes the decision easier to stay. Good luck.

ninjamyst

Premium member
sorry to hear about your lost but i am very surprised running without circulation pump will nuke a tank. Probably more likely that the pump failed and sent out stray voltage that did most of the damage?

I am actually in this same boat right now. I had one tank spring a leak and had to throw together a temp set up, bought a new tank and transferred everything with minimal losses. Then got stuck on 30 days straight of 14 hour days which has right now left me with a horrible looking tank of brown algae and about half of my SPS white but alive. I have been down this road before, so I am just letting the tank work things out with constant small water changes and keeping everything as stable as I can.

Hang in there, this hobby has the highest highs and the lowest lows.

I thought the same ninja, but there was no stray voltage. I even had a stray voltage prong in there to prevent that. all parameters were spot on before leaving for the trip.

Thanks smitty,ninja, trouble for the kind thoughts!

Last edited:

Top Water

Well you did something right you bought a flame from me and being you took care of me when I had hard times I will replace it for free just stop by.

Topwater, I am speechless. I honestly wasn't looking for that. I sincerely appreciate that and you just sealed a customer for life with that act of kindness! Thank-you!

Nick

mikenh77

I feel your pain brother. I lost over $2000 in livestock when I was out on vacation from a power outage half a year ago. Now the rocks are saturated in PO4 and cyano. GFO, heavy skimming, ATS, and big water changes aren't doing much for me. Let me know if you are able to figure it out. I hope everything turns out for the better.

Thanks Mike and sorry to hear about your loss of livestock.....

It took a while, but I finally have my tank back to normal and stocked again. I tried everything you did and after some painful lessons with Biopellets and GFO, my algae issues are gone. I went the ulns route to try and combat algae and had nothing but loss, always teetering on the edge and it was no fun. Prodibio and Biopellets stripped the water so fast even with minimal amounts, I lost coral from the shock. I tried BRS HC GFO and went half dosage and bleached a bunch of coral. What finally worked was ONE tablespoon of GFO in a reactor on low tumble for two weeks and then pulled it offline after the algae disappeared. After that I'm back to just water changes for nutrient control and everything is happy. I will use GFO extremely conservative if phosphate rises above the threshold and then take it offline. I only have a pair of clowns, so not a lot of nutrients are entering the system. But I'm thrilled to be back where I was, it was painful looking at the tank after the crash...hoping for a quick recovery for you brother!