Basement sump - Flush plumbing before use?

ultimatemj

I'm near ready to "flip the switch"!

I've got SpaFlex run to the basement and all the fittings and valves glued up.

Now I'm wondering about the "chemicals" inside the SpaFlex (from it being made) and the PVC Solvent used on the fittings.​

Thinking about temporarily connecting the 1" Return to the 1-1/2" Drain (under the display tank), filling the sump with water and running a "flush".

Of course I think about this after filling the sump with saltwater :frown5:

The sump + SpaFlex hoses hold about 35gal! My RODI/Salt making station is only 17g...2 batches....3days...to refill after flush.

Main reason I'm hesitating is the HEAT is coming later this week! I don't have a chiller, but my basement will should do that duty!

Thoughts??? Risky to move forward? Or I'm worrying about trace amounts that shouldn't matter?

How many of you actually flushed your plumbing before using it???

Note: Tank is 55g (minus some for rock, call it 42g) and the current sump is ~10g. So, I'll be going from 52g to 77g total volume.

Joe5688

I'm near ready to "flip the switch"!

I've got SpaFlex run to the basement and all the fittings and valves glued up.

Now I'm wondering about the "chemicals" inside the SpaFlex (from it being made) and the PVC Solvent used on the fittings.​

Thinking about temporarily connecting the 1" Return to the 1-1/2" Drain (under the display tank), filling the sump with water and running a "flush".

Of course I think about this after filling the sump with saltwater :frown5:

The sump + SpaFlex hoses hold about 35gal! My RODI/Salt making station is only 17g...2 batches....3days...to refill after flush.

Main reason I'm hesitating is the HEAT is coming later this week! I don't have a chiller, but my basement will should do that duty!

Thoughts??? Risky to move forward? Or I'm worrying about trace amounts that shouldn't matter?

How many of you actually flushed your plumbing before using it???

Note: Tank is 55g (minus some for rock, call it 42g) and the current sump is ~10g. So, I'll be going from 52g to 77g total volume.
I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to flush it but I can tell u first hand that I've never done it and I usually turn my pumps on within 5 mins of gluing and fitting everything. Never had an issue. hell I even have some PVC shavings still floating in my sump lol.

I did a test run of all of my equipment in my garage which was kind of a flush of my equipment. I mainly did it as a leak test cause if I had leaks in my plumbing where the tank ended up going, my parents would have killed me.

ultimatemj

I did the math and figured ~$10 and a little effort is low cost insurance relative to the current live stock.

Flushed and filled. Running the pump back into the sump to mix the salt and bring up to temp.

After battling 80s in my DT during cold weather, I'm excited to see the basement water temp. Hoping to avoid a chiller! :))
View attachment 2281

Tapa

Joe5688

Basement sump will Def help with summer temps. I actually had to increase my heater wattages after moving my sump to the basement

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk