Beginner coral help! (starter)

Hello, i just set up my first saltwater 14g tank on Monday 24th, so it is still in it's cycle. I have approx. 20lbs dry rock and small piece of LR to seed it. Also put in live sand. Once the tank cycles I would like to put in some corals. What are some EASY low light corals that I can start out with..??
Zoas, Mushrooms?? Any help is appreciated

thank-you

View attachment 1412

maidia

Team CR
What lighting you have? Some zoas are easy but some are easy to melt...Shroom is the easiest but careful with some mushroom can take over the tank if you are not control them. My 2 cents.

Milhouse

Premium member
What lighting you have? Some zoas are easy but some are easy to melt...Shroom is the easiest but careful with some mushroom can take over the tank if you are not control them. My 2 cents.
Your 2cents. You talk like you know what your doing! LOL.

Jim, i have a frag of some "easy" zoas i will save for you for when your tank is ready. Ill show them to you when you come over for those test kits on sunday.
Mai is right. Some zoos are easy and others, not so much. Start with the easier less expensive ones.

Right now there are stock leds that came with the tank. But i just bought a 28 led hang on light that has moon light and white nothing special just ebay $20... Another question would b are clowns or bangai cardinal then ok with these corals..Also Jason would you mind if i hold off until the following sunday that way i can get my tank mote established and pick up both at the same time if that is ok thanks again for the help

Milhouse

Premium member
Right now there are stock leds that came with the tank. But i just bought a 28 led hang on light that has moon light and white nothing special just ebay $20... Another question would b are clowns or bangai cardinal then ok with these corals..Also Jason would you mind if i hold off until the following sunday that way i can get my tank mote established and pick up both at the same time if that is ok thanks again for the help
No problem.

I dont know about cardnials but clowns are fine.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I have a nice big piece of green star polyps you can have. I actually have two pieces if somebody else wants one (pm me so we don't clutter up this thread). I tried to put them in my DT, but my emperor gave them the law mower treatment. They have been in my sump for months. One is growing back after getting mowed. I can hold it for a month for you while you tank cycles. View attachment 1413

Bommie

Pulsing Xenia are a good start maybe some green star polyps and if those don't make it ur light output isn't bright enough or double check water quality.

maidia

Team CR
Your 2cents. You talk like you know what your doing! LOL.

Jim, i have a frag of some "easy" zoas i will save for you for when your tank is ready. Ill show them to you when you come over for those test kits on sunday.
Mai is right. Some zoos are easy and others, not so much. Start with the easier less expensive ones.

Sorry Jason, I am an INFIDEL newbie .. :)

Jim, I have a frag of hardy Zoas for you if you are not lazy to drive to Mount Prospect..:)

That would be great starters thanks for the help guys, as soon as my tank test out good i will take you up on the offer and try out some frags thanks again

Joe5688

Pulsing Xenia are a good start maybe some green star polyps and if those don't make it ur light output isn't bright enough or double check water quality.
Those 2 will grow in darkness lol. The ebay light u bought probably isn't going to be sufficient for much of anything. You can try a few corals but prepare for little to no growth, bad color and possibly having the coral die.

Triggerdood

Those 2 will grow in darkness lol. The ebay light u bought probably isn't going to be sufficient for much of anything. You can try a few corals but prepare for little to no growth, bad color and possibly having the coral die.
Debbie Downer. Lol

maidia

Team CR
He said stock leds and addition leds from ebay so it may be ok. Can be place the soft corals from the middle up to top of the rock...

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Welcome!! Just be very careful with Pulsing Xenia.. This will spread like a wild fire also!!!

Are you running a skimmer?
Do you have any powerheads?
Stay away from chemicals that a store might tell you it's good!! Do your research on the product

Ask many questions as we ALL are here to HELP!

No skimmer or power heads right now.. Just the aqauclear 30.. Im hoping the light i hope will be good enough lol but for easy starter stuff it should. Right now tank is a little milky/cloudy so i think it is cycling well

Joe5688

Things may survive but they definitely will not thrive. Not trying to be a Debby downer like Aaron said just trying to steer you in the right direction to prevent u from buying things multiple times or having things die u spend money on and discouraging u from the hobby.