Best Flash for DSLR canon

Just started getting back into reefing and also doing photography now for my T3i, any recommendation on what flash would be recommended for reef tanks?

tenvibes

for most situations, an entry level 430EX II seems to do the trick but I would think underwater photography is typically shot without flash. A steady hand or tripod and a nice lens will go a long way with just the supplemental lights on your tank.

William Lutman

I can just shoot with my T3i in my main tank - R420R 160w 16k. On my frag tank I have to set a custom white balance. I did buy a ~$100 ring flash off ebay, but you have to be flat on the glass to use it.

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Stay away from flash on a reef tank. Most members dont use it and use the WB to make it look awesome...

For indoor use like a church, house party or at night will be great to have one.

Tangency

I guess I disagree with everyone.
I think a flash is a great tool! Especially for aquarium photography. You can never have too much light for photos. Using a flash will allow you to use faster shutter speeds and lower ISO giving you sharper images with less noise.

I'm unsure of the canon equivalent as I am a Nikon guy, but I recommend a flash that can be used remotely, has a manual mode, adjustable direction, and a light diffuser. It looks like the Canon Speedlite 430EX II would work for your needs but any flash that can be removed from the camera body will help balance out aquarium lighting. By removing the flash from the body you can help control harsh hilights and reflections. The use of a light diffuser will go along way in giving your subject a softer, more even, natural light. You can always buy a diffuser but I find using cloth, in addition to old milk containers, or a cool whip lid works just as well. It takes some practice and a whole lot of experimenting but that's the fun part.

maidia

Team CR
I don't know about the 430EX but the Canon Speedlite 580EX II I have, can turn 180 degree bouncing in the back over my shoulder.
I agree with this "use faster shutter speeds and lower ISO giving you sharper images with less noise."

DD

"Rambo"
If you're going to use a macro lens, the macro flashes are really really nice. I messed around with one of my buddy's cameras and the results were spectacular. They're very expensive. I've got a little fund that I throw a few bucks in every now and again for one. The only thing is they are not very versatile. Pretty much stuck with front on flash and you're unable to bounce it off of ceilings and stuff. For reef photography they would work very well but as mentioned earlier, you would need to get right up against the glass.

Joe Lydon

Get a fast lens, instead of a flash. Anything with a 1.8 aperture or larger will be more than sufficient at lightning fast shutter speeds and 80-100 iso. The 50mm 1.8 works great, tack sharp at around f/2.2.. With your t3i, you won't visibly notice any noise until post 800 iso anyways. Flash should be used to create an effect, not to be your primary light source.