Best July 4 deal I've seen so far

ColaAddict

thatpetplace.com I heard is giving 15% off (code: july4). they sell vortechs, so you can get a MP40 for under 400 which is a pretty darn good deal.

fastrc

I never seen a reason to pay that much for a powerhead. Any powerhead moves water and if you want it to act as a wavemaker invest in a $125.00 starter system from digital aquatics and have a light or pump control with it. But that is a good discount on other things.

MMreef

I had Koralias for two years,yes they do the job,but can't compare to Vortechs at all,as far as flow and control ability.Also visually Vortechs are superior to any other powerhead.Having motor outside aquarium Vortechs do not add any heat to the water,important thing in summer time.

poidog

I had Koralias for two years,yes they do the job,but can't compare to Vortechs at all,as far as flow and control ability.Also visually Vortechs are superior to any other powerhead.Having motor outside aquarium Vortechs do not add any heat to the water,important thing in summer time.
+1

DJE

Thanks for the reminder Nino, I just picked up my MP40.
These thing are expensive but well worth it.

gig

+2 I've had both, they are worth the money

Logan 12

Yep agree, after putting an mp10es on my 33 long I was able to remove all 5 koralias. And you can not create the flow pattern they give you with any type of digital controller.

fastrc

Well my stuff grows and is happy with my (INEXPENSIVE) koralia's and i had alot of extra money to buy more pretty stuff for my tanks!!! lmao

Wojtek

Premium Sponsor
This is what I thought before I got one.... Now that I own one I will never go back to original powerheads. I would say if you have extra money to spend go for it, and you will not regret it! Just look around and find a deal on them!

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Yep agree, after putting an mp10es on my 33 long I was able to remove all 5 koralias. And you can not create the flow pattern they give you with any type of digital controller.
Honestly, I've neber researched these due to the price tag. I'm curious what you mean by "you can not create the flow pattern they give you with any type of digital controller".
Do these pumps have built in controllers?
I've been blowing through Koralia's every few months because they keep going in reverse. (I've been told this is a common problem when they are connected to a wave maker.) I was looking at the nbew JBJ Oceanstreams in hopes they would work properly with my OceanPulse Duo wavemaker. However, I am now intriqued by the vortechs...

MMreef

Yes ,each Vortech pump comes with its own wireless controller,with pre -programmed modes,also if you get more than one pump, those pumps communicate with each other,that gives you more options as far as flow.Their flow is very wide and gentle in contrast to Koralias narrow flow.One Vortech eliminated three Koralias in my tank.

WeePee

I never seen a reason to pay that much for a powerhead. Any powerhead moves water and if you want it to act as a wavemaker invest in a $125.00 starter system from digital aquatics and have a light or pump control with it. But that is a good discount on other things.
except for the fact that many, if not most, powerheads are not designed to be cycled on/off and can make clicking sounds when starting back up.

and not to mention that a reefkeeper cannot come close to what the vortech controller can do.

and as price goes, you can always spend 220 and get a mp10 which has the same controller and ranges from 200-1575 gph

Well my stuff grows and is happy with my (INEXPENSIVE) koralia's and i had alot of extra money to buy more pretty stuff for my tanks!!! lmao
This is an opinion that people who have never owned a Vortech powerhead or have heard something about vortech powerheads from a friend of a friend of a friend, generally attribute to Vortech powerheads. It is easy for someone who has never had the product in question to criticize it.

The design of a Vortech which puts the propeller extremely close to the glass or acrylic pane produces an unprecedented amount of undertow and flow width as far as powerheads are concerned. This undertow keeps detritus suspended in the water column and the flow width allows for corals to be placed anywhere in the aquarium without any concern of low flow.

Part of the allure of the Vortech powerheads are also the low profile within the aquarium and the absence of additional heat being added to the water.

These are attributes that a koralia, sicce voyager, and even a Tunze pump simply can not provide. No matter how happy you think your corals are now with your "budget" powerheads, you will never know if they will be happier with a better option.

BADGUS

I switched from vortechs to tunzes cause the mp40's sucked.Then again,there are few options for an 8ft tank.

I switched from vortechs to tunzes cause the mp40's sucked.Then again,there are few options for an 8ft tank.
What reasons do you have for saying the "MP40s sucked?" Have you tried the MP60 as the MP40 is not designed for a tank of that size? What Tunze pump did you replace the MP40 with? Due to the MP40's extremely wide flow pattern it's effective flow is approximately 3' from the wet side propeller.