Best LFS for pre-mixed saltwater?

ninjamyst

Premium member
I am setting up a nano reef (12 gallons) and plan to buy pre-mixed saltwater from LFS. Any recommendations to which LFS is best? Looking to spend about $1 per gallon.

sparky5785

The best one I know of is beyond the reef. However I would highly recommend getring your own ro/di unit. Even if it's a low gpd model. And mix your own saltwater. It is much much more cost efficient to mix your own.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

trackfast

Princess Trainer
I'm guessing most do sell pre-mixed water but I don't know if one is best. You could try Old Town Aquarium, Golden Aquarium or New Fish.

ninjamyst

Premium member
I live in a small condo so don't really have lots of room to store stuff. I checked old town and they are asking almost $2 per gallon. I plan to do weekly 1-2 gallon change so that adds up real quick. Maybe I will look into RODI...but seems such a hassle for a small 12 gal tank.

DD

"Rambo"
Best part about doing it yourself is you have complete control over the purity of the water and the quality of salt. Plus, if you ever need to do an emergency water change in the middle of the night, you can.

Best part about doing it yourself is you have complete control over the purity of the water and the quality of salt. Plus, if you ever need to do an emergency water change in the middle of the night, you can.
Or keep 35 gallons on hand at all times ,the local FS is 1.00 a gallon

trackfast

Princess Trainer
I live in a small condo so don't really have lots of room to store stuff. I checked old town and they are asking almost $2 per gallon. I plan to do weekly 1-2 gallon change so that adds up real quick. Maybe I will look into RODI...but seems such a hassle for a small 12 gal tank.
I've heard of people using the portable RODI units off eBay. $70 or so and 50 GPD.

Reefwise

Premium Sponsor
Hi JC! If you are close to Lisle, we sell premixed for $1/gallon. We also include free straight RODI water with it for top off if desired.

DD

"Rambo"
Or keep 35 gallons on hand at all times ,the local FS is 1.00 a gallon
Where's he gonna keep 35 gallons at if he thinks he'll have trouble finding room to keep an RODI unit? OP said he's in a small condo.

Good idea nonetheless.

ninjamyst

Premium member
Hi JC! If you are close to Lisle, we sell premixed for $1/gallon. We also include free straight RODI water with it for top off if desired.
awesome. u will be seeing me alot in a month or so when my tank arrives. i am in downtown chicago but dont mind the trip to Lisle. what brand of salt do you use?

fredfish13

JC, depending where in the city you live, you can try NewFish or Coral Reef if on the northside. I live in a condo on the 6th floor with a 100 yard walk from the elevator to my condo door. It gets old. But for small tank, it is doable. Once I upgraded and had a couple tanks just went ahead and bought a 5stage BRS unit. I hook it up to my faucet in my bathroom when needed and put it under the sink when not in use.

tkh

The guys and gals at Reefwise are cool people, so I am sure you will be content with the water from them, but there is a lot to be said for having your own RODI unit, and making your own saltwater. I live in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment, and still managed to find room to store my water. Granted, my kitchen had a funny corner anyhow, so it fit naturally in there, but I'm just saying - if you can find space to store water you buy, you can find space to keep water to mix yourself. As far as the rest is concerned - it's up to you if you prefer lugging buckets around or not. I should also mention that cost-wise, RODI will win out in short order, the units really aren't terribly expensive at all in the greater scheme of SW tanks. Good luck with it all, regardless of how you choose to go about this, and welcome to the very fun (expensive) addictive (expensive) hobby!