Best Phosphate Remover

Pufferpunk

I need a chemical phosphate remover. I got it down from 3 to .3 so far. I have a serious macro algae problem & some dino issues. The dino I have been blowing off but the macro is coming back again. I used a 2 buckets of Kent Phosphate sponge & have regenerated it once or twice. Should be good for one more but the efficiency is lost with each renewal. I'm looking at this page for something. I'm not sure if I should get more of the Kent's, since I can regenerate or something else that won't leach the phosphate back into the tank.

http://fish-supplies.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/search?p=Q&lbc=drsfsaquatics&uid=670696051&w=phosphate remover&af=cat1:fish type:product&isort=score&method=and&visitorID=JENI&cartcount=3&wishcount=0&subtotal=84.05&ts=results

ColaAddict

Hey Ted, If if ain't broke don't fix it. Chemi pure works for you, why change? I like how theyre good for 6 months.

Pufferpunk

Doesn't a reactor tumble the product? Because it is suggested that Phosguard not be moved around a lot or it turns to a powder.

BlakeT

GFO (granular ferric oxide) has been the most effective in my experience. It IS phosban, but it's cheaper when you don't buy it with the brand name attached. We have it here at MCF for $15 a pound if you ever need more.

Logan 12

Yes a reactor tumbles the product. I use the two little fishies reactors for both my carbon and gfo. I use the Gfo (granular ferric oxide) from bulkreef. Does a great job since my phosphates are crazy high out of the RODI. Stupid well water.

BlakeT

Does it work well in a media bag in a high flow area?
Yes, I use this personally in my nano and have had good results. It is most effective when used in a reactor, but it is still effective when used in that manner.

Pufferpunk

I got PhosBan.

Directions: PhosBan can be rinsed briefly before use, but since it is friable, do NOT stir the granules, which would pulverize them. Put PhosBan in a tightly-packed media bag or between two layers of fine filter floss in any kind of flow-through filter or filter chamber so that the water is directed through it diffusely. PhosBan is best used in an up-flow filter such as the PhosBan Reactor, but the flow must be reduced sufficiently to prevent the granules from tumbling, which would grind them into powder.

BlakeT

Generally when used in a reactor, I have found that you don't want the pellets tumbling, but lightly "bubbling" at the surface. It sounds funny but you will know it when you see it.

scotty

I'm going to do the same thing with the seachem "the bag" in a hob. Problem though is do I replace chemipure....or figure out how to just add another bag lol

Pufferpunk

Thanks for reminding me to test. It's been about a week.

Hmmm... not good, still .03. :( I did get a nice, big sea hare, who does seem to be eating some of the macro algae.

MMreef

I use high capacity GFO from BRS,it works great.It is a little more expansive but you can use less of it than any other product.,so it last longer.

dtrm

GFO (granular ferric oxide) has been the most effective in my experience. It IS phosban, but it's cheaper when you don't buy it with the brand name attached. We have it here at MCF for $15 a pound if you ever need more.
+1 just started two weeks ago and all algae GONE :) Thanks Blake MCF

skunkmere

i used lanthium chloride. to reduce it down from a high reading down to 0.06. use gfo from there. you need to read up on it to use it correctly.