Best Proven methods to clean/cure dry rock

RuNvS

Hello Everyone--i am going to be setting up a 180 closed loop reef system in the coming months and i have about 300 lbs of dead LR that has been sitting outside and or in buckets for quite some time. i would like to find the best way to clean and cure the rock to bring it back to life and also ensure that i wont have any excess PO4 or nitrates when i am ready to put the rock in the tank. any and all suggestions are welcome.

maidia

Team CR
Here my method when I restart my reef tank:

- Put all the rocks in the big container, fill up with tab water
- File 1/2 gallon of Muriatic Acid (bought at Menards) in that container (May be 1 gallon for your 300lb rocks) - Do it careful outdoor with no people around - Leave it atleast 1-2 days
- Empty the container and fill it up with new tab water and fill 1 or 2 gallon of vinegar and leave it for 1 or 2 days.
- Empty it and fill with RO/DI water for 2-3 day, clean and rinse the rocks up
- Let it dry for 1 or 2 days.
- Done

Fish_wiz2

Mai's advice is solid. The only thing I would add is to watch the rock while it is soaking in the acid. How it works it is dissolves the outer layer of rock and therefore if youre not alert and its a small piece of rock, you'll lose good chunk or even the whole piece!

RuNvS

How do dispose of the acid from what I understand it is highly corrosive and you can't simply dump it down the drive way.

SkullV

After a day with the rock it should be mosty neutralized. It's basically the vinegar and baking soda volcano reaction.

maidia

Team CR
How do dispose of the acid from what I understand it is highly corrosive and you can't simply dump it down the drive way.
I set it up next to the sewer back yard...Sorry if you don't have one then just do the vinegar..

Bowhunter4250

Here my method when I restart my reef tank:

- Put all the rocks in the big container, fill up with tab water
- File 1/2 gallon of Muriatic Acid (bought at Menards) in that container (May be 1 gallon for your 300lb rocks) - Do it careful outdoor with no people around - Leave it atleast 1-2 days
- Empty the container and fill it up with new tab water and fill 1 or 2 gallon of vinegar and leave it for 1 or 2 days.
- Empty it and fill with RO/DI water for 2-3 day, clean and rinse the rocks up
- Let it dry for 1 or 2 days.
- Done
listen to mai ! he knows his stuff !!

RuNvS

lunacris

it took a while . like few months i also added gfo in reactor which speed up process a bit also after it hits 0 pull gfo and measure po4 for a week or 2 to make sure gone . used salt at 25 and heat at 78 . also becareful not to over do the acid you can melt your rock to nothing. i did 2 batches of my rock and 2 batches for a guy here and only one rock melted alot

RuNvS

it took a while . like few months i also added gfo in reactor which speed up process a bit also after it hits 0 pull gfo and measure po4 for a week or 2 to make sure gone . used salt at 25 and heat at 78 . also becareful not to over do the acid you can melt your rock to nothing. i did 2 batches of my rock and 2 batches for a guy here and only one rock melted alot
how long did you leave it in the acid bath before you nuetralized the acid?

RuNvS

wow i was thinking a few hours. i will try this out if i have any questions ill be sure to ask thanks Lunacris

lunacris

all your doing is burning away the outer shell of the rock which holds po4 in most cases , then cooking it in total darkness gets everything to die and release from the rock (which can be done without acid dip) and any leaching will be gone . once you start to cure the rock it will start all over but from 0 and no question of whats there because only thing in there was put there by you .

madjoe

Premium member
all your doing is burning away the outer shell of the rock which holds po4 in most cases , then cooking it in total darkness gets everything to die and release from the rock (which can be done without acid dip) and any leaching will be gone . once you start to cure the rock it will start all over but from 0 and no question of whats there because only thing in there was put there by you .
idk bout that lol some how after 4 days in heavy acid 1 week in bleach I have this alage I never seen before in my dt growing out of rocks with no sigh of it in my fuge . its a mystery I tell u