Best reef sand?

Greg

So I am going back to sand in my new tank. I havent used sand for 3 years probably.

The tank will be shallow-ish (15") and I will have mp40s, so fine grade is out.
Pretty much looking for as small as possible that wont blow around.
I dont like seeing shells and stuff in my sand. Tiny parts of shells/coral skeletons are fine (as long as I cant tell what they are from), but Im not a big fan of whole shells and large random chunks (like calcium reactor media).

I used to use caribsea because its what Coral Reef carried, but wasnt ever super thrilled about it. A bit 'dusty/dirty' and grain sizes varied a lot (which many people seem to say also).
If I were to go caribsea, id probably go with special grade (1-2mm), but this is likely too small. Crushed coral is a decent size, but the range is huge (2-5.5mm) and there are shells and skeleton chunks and everything mixed in, small and large, so crushed coral is definitely out.

I read really good things about Tropic Eden being very very clean with very consistent grain sizes.
Im thinking I will prbably try reef flakes (3.5mm). Or maybe Grand Select (5.5mm), but this seems pretty large... On the other side, miniflakes seem to small at 2mm.

So right now it looks like TE reef flakes seems the best fit.
Anyone try reef flakes and wish they would have gotten grand select? Or gotten grand select and wish they would have gotten reef flakes?
Is there another brand I havent researched yet? (I looked at Seachem/Tidal and Natures Ocean also, but not impressed)

BigKev23

The reef flakes are the best. My vortechs run at full power on reef crest mode and the sand never blows around.

fwadiver

live sand is the biggest scam there is, dry is just as good, and you get more of it for the same weight.