Bicolor Blenny

Mr. Thingdoer

This fish is the absolute best fish for people who like to make regrettable decisions. He cruises around, and bites chunks of every coral in the tank. He seems to really enjoy Montipora, and Favites the most, but he has to take a bite of everything just to make sure. It's not just cruising for algae, either. It likes coral flesh, and its also very aggressive towards everything else in the tank. I was up until 3:00am trying to catch the bastard. He needs to go. I might leave work early to keep trying.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
This fish is the absolute best fish for people who like to make regrettable decisions. He cruises around, and bites chunks of every coral in the tank. He seems to really enjoy Montipora, and Favites the most, but he has to take a bite of everything just to make sure. It's not just cruising for algae, either. It likes coral flesh, and its also very aggressive towards everything else in the tank. I was up until 3:00am trying to catch the bastard. He needs to go. I might leave work early to keep trying.
Sorry to hear; that really stinks ! GL on catching him.

Mr. Thingdoer

You may have better luck than I have. I feed it a mix of algaes, pellets, and frozen, three times a day, and that still didn't curb its appetite for corals. This is the first fish I've had that literally bites big bits of flesh off coral. All my frags are small, and I like them a lot more than I like him, though, so he's gotta go immediately.

Mr. Thingdoer

Wow thats rare never seen one do that before .
It's actually not that uncommon, I guess. I did a google search for "bicolor blenny eating coral", and there's a bunch of threads on other forums where people have had the same experience. They can eat about a square inch of monti in a day. He doesn't nip, he actually rips the flesh, spits it out, then eats it again and swallows it. Not good at all. The biggest problem I see is that they're listed as reef safe, although a few places say that some of them can nip at large polyp fleshy corals. I had a midas blenny who was awesome, never caused a problem, and I assumed this one would be similar. If only I would have known how bad they can get, then I wouldn't have added him to the tank. This is not reef safe. It also likes to head butt everything, snails, fish, shrimp, and my little pom pom crab.

Last edited:

madjoe

Premium member
It's actually not that uncommon, I guess. I did a google search for "bicolor blenny eating coral", and there's a bunch of threads on other forums where people have had the same experience. They can eat about a square inch of monti in a day. He doesn't nip, he actually rips the flesh, spits it out, then eats it again and swallows it. Not good at all. The biggest problem I see is that they're listed as reef safe, although a few places say that some of them can nip at large polyp fleshy corals. I had a midas blenny who was awesome, never caused a problem, and I assumed this one would be similar. If only I would have known how bad they can get, then I wouldn't have added him to the tank. This is not reef safe. It also likes to head butt everything, snails, fish, shrimp, and my little pom pom crab.
Well good to know i never heard of this before so u learn something new everyday hope u caught him

#theMatrix

Lets see.
Fish gary 2.0 has eaten to death

Splendid dottyback. red margin fairy wrasse. Red fairy wrasse. Diamond back goby. Midas blenny. And im sure theres others and and doubles.

Illinijoe

TeamCR
Thanks for sharing so we know. I know your upset right now I would be too. If you catch it please try to give it another home even if that home is a pet store. It's just doing what is in its nature. Good luck and hope you don't lose any more corals.

Mr. Thingdoer

I quartered him off in a rock with a sheet of acrylic. Pulled the rocks out of that area, and shook the rock he was in over a 5 gallon bucket with a heater & airstone. (Don't worry. They weren't plugged in, and I forgot to put water in it)

It's out, but that took me two days. I made a few frags of a couple frags, and he ate a lot of flesh off of a couple really nice Montis I just got. I hope all the corals fully recover. I will add that bastard to my list of fish I hate so much. I hate it!

I'm going to grab a beer, and drink myself to sleep now.