BigKev23's 25g Cube Build

BigKev23

As some of you know, my 60g cube is pretty full. So I have received permission from the boss to setup another tank for my zoas/palys and frags. So here is what I am working with...

Marineland 25g RR Cube (18"x18"x18")
Marineland Monterrey Espresso Stand
Custom Sump from Nano Sea Creations (14"x14"x14")
SC-60 Ebay Skimmer
Tunze Silence Return Pump
Vortech MP10
AI Nano LED
Reefkeeper Lite
30 lbs of Tropic Eden Reef Flakes

Here's some pics... hoping to have it up and cycling this weekend.

youngreef

Where do you put the skimmer and the filter sock? which chamber are you going to use for refugium?
Thanks
I like that sump

FishBeard

My guess he is not putting a fuge in sump, so sock and skimmer would be on one side of bubble trap, and return pump on the other side, looks like all the pods would get sucked up the skimmer the way the sump is designed.

youngreef

Would you mind to make an video after you setup the tank and the sump?
Need to learn more from yours.

youngreef

fishbeard I saw one large chamber in the back behind the black wall..I believe that will be held the filter sock and the skimmer..
1 thing I don't understand if that sump built like that way the water running down from the back into the right chamber will create some noise..Correct me if I'm wrong Bigkev23
but I like the way it built.
Nice setup!

SkullV

My guess he is not putting a fuge in sump, so sock and skimmer would be on one side of bubble trap, and return pump on the other side, looks like all the pods would get sucked up the skimmer the way the sump is designed.
There is a fuge chamber behind the black.

BigKev23

The skimmer sits in the chamber on the right side in the picture. Water flows thru the bubble trap and into the return pump section on the left. The third chamber is behind the black acrylic and that is my fuge. I will run a split drain, one side to the fuge and the other to the skimmer section. This is a smaller version of the sump that Anthony built me for my 60g and it works excellent.

Here is a side picture showing the fuge chamber...

BigKev23

I haven't figured out how many gallons it holds, but I am guessing about 5 or so. I don't run a filter sock on my tanks, so no need to worry about that.

The water running down the black overflow teeth is a slow trickle and makes no noise at all.

FishBeard

The skimmer sits in the chamber on the right side in the picture. Water flows thru the bubble trap and into the return pump section on the left. The third chamber is behind the black acrylic and that is my fuge. I will run a split drain, one side to the fuge and the other to the skimmer section. This is a smaller version of the sump that Anthony built me for my 60g and it works excellent.

Here is a side picture showing the fuge chamber...

Ok, what I see is the bubble trap is backwards, or the teeth should be on the left. Seems odd to dump from the fuge right into the skimmer. I figured you were using the back chamber as an overflow.

BigKev23

If the fuge dumped into the return pump chamber, you would be sending bubbles into your display. When the water comes from the fuge on my bigger sump, it goes almost directly into the bubble trap. I am sure there are some pods lost to the skimmer, but I have plenty in both the display and fuge.

FishBeard

Alright then, you have more experience with his sumps. I just know how the ones I put together work, and no one has had issues with bubbles from the fuge draining directly to the return section. Just a difference in preference I guess.

RedDevil.258

GOD I have to say that Nano sea Creations makes AWESOME looking sumps!!!! This is the second one I have seen here on CR. May I ask how much???????

BigKev23

Time for an update...

Had my bro come over and put his welding skills to use. He fabbed up this light stand for me, which I have since painted flat black. The stand swivels out to the right in case I need the light out of the way.

Then I finally convinced Chad to come over and put his plumbing skills to work. Got the tank plumbed and filled up.

It's been cycling for about a week and a half now. The SC-65 skimmer is really doing a great job considering there isn't any bioload yet.