bio balls is everyone excited... fire away

jeepsdoitall

ok so i asked about them some time ago but i have done some research since then and i am well into the build phase of my 220 gallon tank except i havent put the tank on the stand yet haha there is a lot more work invovled with this one then there was with my 75 gallon but anyway i put the new trickle in the stand and those bio balls lookin back at me had me thinking should i take them out or not i dont want to have to worry about them causing me problems later and i remember scotty saying go with them and i thought, you know what i will but after doing some research and today seing that someone is just starting there first reef tank it may have confirmed my research that bio balls are meant to be used for mainly fresh water and im not using any of them in my other salt water tanks but what do i do with the space where they were in the trick, keeping in mind there is no light there pleas all the more comments you want to make the better so put your two cents in that is y we are on this forum thanks people

WeePee

u doing a FOWLR or a reef?
for a reef i wouldn't do bioballs, but for a FOWLR they are fine.

lunacris

+1 no bioballs in reef. I used in my aggresive tank and could never get nitrates down unless you take em out and clean but then. You are washing away bio

ColaAddict

If you got enough rocks in there, you don't need bioballs. why don't you rig the bioball space into a chemical filter area, just rig some different levels of egg crate in there and you can put any kind of filter you like in each level.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
No bioballs in a reef. If you're looking for something that really works well for nitrate reduction (aside from macro, LR, DSB and the usual), you should research carbon biopellets.