Bio cube 14g info.

riv

Premium member
So I'm starting a bio cube 14g for my daughter. So I need some info from u guys. If I would put some live rock from my 125 n some of the saltwater mix with fresh saltwater. Would I still need to cycle it? My other question is what kind of other equipment would I need? As far as filtration. For now no corals. Sand or no sand? Any help is appreciated! Thank u for your time!

DAS212

First tank was a biocube 14 for me and was extremely successful at growing softies, mushrooms, and LPS. Its still going to need some time to cycle but if you throw some hardy fish in there like two small clowns that should be fine. I used an entire bad of super fine sand in my system and had tons of healthy little critters living in it by the time I took it down.

First thing you need to do is take the bioballs out and remove the false floor from chamber 1 so you can put in a little heater although with the summer coming, unless this is in a cold basement or something you should be fine without one. I added a Hydor Rotating Water Deflector to mine and did not use a powerhead of any kind. Relied on the deflector and the return pump for all the flow I needed. I am a big proponent of using an InTank Media basket in biocubes with atleast filter floss on top and chemi pure underneath.

riv

Premium member
I got it used so no bio balls. Thank u for response! U did help me answer my questions. I didn't even think about the water deflector. If anybody has anything else add feel free.

Siebo

Premium member
I have bio 14 in my sons room.
+ 1 on the intank media basket with floss and chemipure.

I do use a small power head on a timer for additional flow.

Also I have had better luck with the UV brand bulbs sold on the intank site too than the stock ones.