bio load.....or lack there of

jayjerk

Premium member
So I had a thought and I'm wondering others views. Is it possible to not have enough bio load in your system for it to run efficiently?

Reason I'm ask is as many may know there is a direct correlation between no3 and po4 extraction. Meaning u need a balance to continue to keep nutrients down. I believe it's 16 part no3 or everyone part po4.

I've struggled to keep po4 in check over a long period in my time in the hobby and I'm wondering if it's because my nitrates are always undetectable.

So if I had a higher bio load (more fish) that would keep nutrients higher thus helping the cycle

Thoughts appreciated

Thanks

Jerk

ColaAddict

I carbon dose with NoPox and I dose just enough to detect nitrates, which in turn keeps my PO4 0. When my nitrates get too low, my PO4 creeps up and algae/cyano creeps in. The Bacterias in tank needs to munch on nitrates as they consume phosphates.
Feed more or get more fish. If carbon dosing, go less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayjerk

Premium member
Sorry should have included I don't carbon dose per say. I use tropi Marin bio actif salt which claims it has carbon dosing properties...who knows

Irsug1

Premium member
Sorry should have included I don't carbon dose per say. I use tropi Marin bio actif salt which claims it has carbon dosing properties...who knows
I use the same salt in my AIO's, it does have a carbon source in it and I use no additional dosing. I have to use gfo or chemipure to keep the phosphates lower while my nitrates are zero. I agree with Nino on raising your bioload so that you can control the nitrate vs phosphate levels and I am considering doing this as well.
I used to use bio-actif on my large display tank but the carbon source was outcompeting my biopellets to where I was getting fluctuations in the levels. Not to mention that bio-actif is significantly higher in alk levels which is also a no no for biopellets and eventually I crashed my tank last year due to these high alk levels introduced while using biopellets.
Now I use tropic marin pro reef on my large display..

tinman

i use the same salt but my alk level has been constant pretty much around 8 .. fresh mix comes to around 8.5 or so from what i remember

I use the same salt in my AIO's, it does have a carbon source in it and I use no additional dosing. I have to use gfo or chemipure to keep the phosphates lower while my nitrates are zero. I agree with Nino on raising your bioload so that you can control the nitrate vs phosphate levels and I am considering doing this as well.
I used to use bio-actif on my large display tank but the carbon source was outcompeting my biopellets to where I was getting fluctuations in the levels. Not to mention that bio-actif is significantly higher in alk levels which is also a no no for biopellets and eventually I crashed my tank last year due to these high alk levels introduced while using biopellets.
Now I use tropic marin pro reef on my large display..

Siebo

Premium member
I carbon dose with NoPox and I dose just enough to detect nitrates, which in turn keeps my PO4 0. When my nitrates get too low, my PO4 creeps up and algae/cyano creeps in. The Bacterias in tank needs to munch on nitrates as they consume phosphates.
Feed more or get more fish. If carbon dosing, go less.

I posted to my bacteria dosing thread some what the same thing in regards to NO3 and PO4. The the rise and fall of NO3 is directly tied to the PO4 consumption. The dosing of bacteria drove the NO3 up lowering the PO4. Your just adjusting the NO3 with NoPox correct?

ColaAddict

I posted to my bacteria dosing thread some what the same thing in regards to NO3 and PO4. The the rise and fall of NO3 is directly tied to the PO4 consumption. The dosing of bacteria drove the NO3 up lowering the PO4. Your just adjusting the NO3 with NoPox correct?
Yeah. I just lower my daily dose of NoPox to keep my nitrates at a detectable level. I find NoPox easier to use than other carbon dose cause I can easily adjust my dosing.
I initially started with 2 ml a day, now I just dose 0.3ml a day to keep my nitrates low and phosphates undetectable.

madjoe

Premium member
It almost seems easier to overstock and carbon dose to keep numbersdown then to try to raise numbers. Idk i alays overstock i have a fish hoardibg issue lol haveing only sps i need the fish for movement lol