Bio Pellet Reactor/Media Opinions

mlott132

I think I am at that point that I need to consider adding a bio pellet reactor to reduce my high nitrate levels. I have tried vodka dosing and Red Sea No3Po4-x will little success. Looking for opinions on what reactor and media to purchase. I do not have a lot of space in my sump so the reactor needs to have a small footprint.

mlott132

Used vodka for a few months. Got a little worried about what seemed to be a lot per dose. Also did not see a vast decrease in nitrate levels. Switched to Red Sea for a few months and just did not see it much of a drop. The last month of using Red Sea I increased my water changes to weekly and from 10 gallons to 15. Finally started to see a drop. So I would have to attribute it to the water changes.

Last edited:

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I also run a modded tlf150, because it's what I had around. I've used it for 1.5 years and have no complaints.

mlott132

Did a little more searching and came across this one by Reefdynamics. Watched the videos and am really impressed. I like the fact it only needs one pump for feeding the reactor and recirculation. Saw one was sold on the forum about a year ago. Just curious if the member who purchased it is still around. Would like to know their opinion. Here is a link to the reactor.

http://www.reefdynamics.com/Reef-Dynamics-Bio-Pellet-Reactor-Model-BPR135E-p/bpr135e.htm

mlott132

So I ordered my reactor today. Ended up going with the Reef Dynamics unit. Didn't hurt that they have a 15% off coupon til Sunday. Now my question is about the bio media. What makes one better than another or are they virtually the same?

mlott132

They told me it would take three to four weeks to ship. Guessing they build when ordered.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

mlott132

My skimmer pump is located under the unit. The pump has an orifice plate connected to the pump input that also connects to the silencer. My question is can I install a "T" fitting at the input of the pump without affecting the skimmer performance? One end would be open and the other connected to the output of the pellet reactor.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk