Biocube HQI - Should I remove sponge in 3rd chamber

Halcon

Hi folks sorry for the newbie question, my tank has been running for about three weeks now. Everything is going well, but I'm trying to figure out if I should remove the sponge in the third chamber? The first chamber contains the protein skimmer, second chamber has LR pieces on the false floor with about a baseball amount of cheato. All water tests look good, but I don't want to have a nitrate issue as I add fish to the tank.

Thanks in advance.

Don

poidog

Take out the LR rubble and the sponge. They are nothing by detritus traps that lead to nitrates. Replace the sponge with filter floss (you can by a cheap 5lb box of morning glory brand from amazon for $15). It is cheap and you can take it out and through it away every few days to every week.

Pufferpunk

I kind of liked using the sponge as mechanical filtration for about a year but got really tired of rinsing every couple of days.

Halcon

Thanks for the feedback, sponge is out. Didn't have a lot of LR (maybe 3 or four small pieces) in the second chamber so will remove it over the weekend.

Don

roilciuc

For the purpose of keeping plankton suspended, do u guys suggest not using and kind of mechanical filtration?

Tgunz127

I use filter floss in the second chamber ... Remove bioballs drip trays and I put a sponge(to reduce noise) with filter floss on top... Remove the biocube filter cartridge also... ... I get the aqua clear110 sponge from petsmart and cut to size ...

poidog

i used filterfloss in my nano, and now in my 70g just a filter sock before skimmer -> fuge -> return

Halcon

What is the reason to remove the biocube filter cartridge, doesn't it help with mech filtration? I was planning on replacing it weekly with weekly water changes?

Tgunz127

Ya but that gets expensive and also once it gets dirty it will slow water flow ... Right after the water spills over into chamber 2 ... That's where your filter floss goes ... I would post a pic but can't do it off my phone ...