Black Sand?

maazreef

I have never done a black Sand bed in my tanks before. Anybody know of any pros and cons on it. I'm really considering black Sand for my cube build.

tinman

Mostly cons Id say

And all strictly in my opinion..

Lower light reflect from sand bed making the reef look smaller and more compact than it is

Detritus and algae shows off soo easily it drove me nuts when I used it.

Some of the black sand is magnetic interfering with mag floats and causing to scratch the glass ..

Triggerdood

Its all a matter of opinion I think. To me, it doesnt make my tank look any smaller. Some of my corals do "pop" more with the black sand imo. I do agree that detritus, and algae show up a bit more. So what, keep the sandbed clean, and the tank free of algae, and you're good.

maazreef

Yea algea spikes is what I am most afraid of. I have never seen a tank with black Sand other than on pictures. How long have you had your black Sand tank set up ADOGG80?

I had black sand for about 8 months before I replaced it with white sand. I really wasn't a big fan of it. It just made everything seem so dark. It made certain bright colored corals looks super bright near the sand, but it made everything else seem dark.

maazreef

I had black sand for about 8 months before I replaced it with white sand. I really wasn't a big fan of it. It just made everything seem so dark. It made certain bright colored corals looks super bright near the sand, but it made everything else seem dark.
What kind of light did you have over it?

Cub21rak

I had black sand setup and didn't like it because stuff you didn't want to pop did. If a rock piece broke off it'd stick out. If you brought in new corals and someone's white sand was there, that stick out.

maazreef

I had black sand setup and didn't like it because stuff you didn't want to pop did. If a rock piece broke off it'd stick out. If you brought in new corals and someone's white sand was there, that stick out.
Yea that is also one thing that came to my mind, it will be a pain trying to keep it black.

vucious

Reviving old thread ... Anyone else have good experience with black sand? What kind did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockhead

I also have black Hawaiian sand and I think it's sexy looking can't wait to put some colorful acans and my clam on the sand. I'm really hoping what is said above is not all true , time will tell

Tom

jayjerk

Premium member
I also have black Hawaiian sand and I think it's sexy looking can't wait to put some colorful acans and my clam on the sand. I'm really hoping what is said above is not all true , time will tell

Tom
Just curious. does that sand over time begin to dull?

Siebo

Premium member

Tom
That looks awesome! I have been wanting to put black sand in my 14 cube.