blue headed wrasse

tinman

So i just got a nice and beautiful Blue headed wrasse from Tank it easy this sunday ..

and immediately after i got it in the tank My melanaurus wrasse made it his mission to hunt and hurt this guy ..

my assumption is Leapard wrasses dont care about fairy wrasses ... i guess im wrong :dontknow:

now the fairy is hiding behind one of my corals and only comming out now and then and to eat .. its tail fins are all frailed /fragged .. and i still see the melanarus is constantly searching for the blue head :(

would it give up and they come to peace ? or is it a better idea to get the blue head out while i can ?

rockhead

I added a blue head if my other fairy and it didn't work out so well and had to pull him out he had no chance with the redhead

MMreef

Acclimation box helps a lot adding new fish, it gives time for new and established fish to get used to each other and let the new fish feed without a problem. Usually 2-7 days is enough, but some fish just don't mix together, especially in smaller tanks. At this point you need to pull your bluehead to give him a chance to live if not too late already.

5575arturo

I had the same problem with my fairy wrasses. It's ideal to add wrasses all @ once. My rainbow wrasse was getting picked on, would come out and eat for a while until eventually it died from being harass.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe if you re-aquascape it'll fix the tension. Best of luck homie

tinman

Describe your methods of adding a new fish to your system.
Please
Step 1 : Remove the screen top
step 2 : Hold the fish bag from store about 2 inches from the water surface
step 3 : Use scissors and cut open the the top of the bag
step 4 : invert the fish bag and dump the fish and water into the tank ...

im sure im forgetting a step or two LOL :dontknow:

tinman

Acclimation box helps a lot adding new fish, it gives time for new and established fish to get used to each other and let the new fish feed without a problem. Usually 2-7 days is enough, but some fish just don't mix together, especially in smaller tanks. At this point you need to pull your bluehead to give him a chance to live if not too late already.
which is why i havent added any fish recently and always make sure the new fish is bigger than the old fish, i thought if using it but thought Leapards and fairies are totally cool :: guess not.
yes im gonna pull the blue head tonite .. its playing safe by hiding behind the coral, should be easy to catch .. and his tail seems to have healed up a bit .. no rot or anything ..

- - - Updated - - -

I had the same problem with my fairy wrasses. It's ideal to add wrasses all @ once. My rainbow wrasse was getting picked on, would come out and eat for a while until eventually it died from being harass.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe if you re-aquascape it'll fix the tension. Best of luck homie
thanks for the input bud :) id rather live with out blue head than do anything to the tank at this point.

goatous

Not to get off topic, but do people worry about dumping fish store water directly into the tank? I worry about copper or whatever medication they might be treating with harming the inverts. Maybe not a problem with big tanks but smaller...

tinman

Not to get off topic, but do people worry about dumping fish store water directly into the tank? I worry about copper or whatever medication they might be treating with harming the inverts. Maybe not a problem with big tanks but smaller...
i was just kididng in my prev post ..

its never suggested to dump water from a fish store. i dont put water from other peoples tanks also in my tank let alone fish store.. always temperature and drip acclimate anything and then put the coral or fish alone in the tank

danp

Just to be sure, I do not think you got blue headed wrasse, I was at their store on saturday and they did not have any. They used to have some before.
This is blue headed wrasse, and its not a fairly wrasse:
https://www.google.com/search?q=blue+headed+wrasse&safe=active&rlz=1C1OPRB_enUS596US596&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_q7yQpIDOAhVCYiYKHfRLB9wQ_AUICCgB&biw=1366&bih=643

You probably got blue sided wrasse that I saw there a day before you.
https://www.google.com/search?q=blue+sided+fairy+wrasse&safe=active&sa=X&rlz=1C1OPRB_enUS596US596&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0ahUKEwjnwrjUpIDOAhXEZiYKHbm3C2MQsAQIJA

Obviously it does not change anything in this tough situation.
Used to have few different wrasses at the same time, including blue sided. He was the boss of the other wrasses, he was harassing them. Without acclimating box inside the tank its hard to add any to existing ones.
In my case he left Solorensis and Red Velvet/Rosy Scale wrasses alone after a week or two. Still occasionally chase them away but not to the point that after a day or two I thought there was no way they were going to survive, very brutal, beating the ... out of them.
Good luck.

#theMatrix

I was saying because after multiple failed attempts ive sort of got it managed.

What i do now is i float in sump in darkness if the bag is not double bagged and the store floated the empty bag in their tank i usually put my own bag over it and float..
Then at night i wait till lights out and depending on fish class family and what they are prone to bring in. FW baths or prazi baths and then i drain the containers and do a dip in water of my tank..drain that water and finally into my tank. So with the baths the fish has time to search a place to rest at. Because the tank is in a rest mode and fish are more calm during lights out. And check in aggression in the morning if theres agression i leave the lights off and place nets used to catch fish in the tank putting all the fish in cautious fear mode thus eliminating agression(this worked even with my picasso trigger)

Reason being is if i just toss the fish in right after a dip or bath it goes in breathing heavy and doesnt have a chance to catch its breath and will be picked on because the others can sense the rapid heart beats and they go for the kill.
The safety box thing sort of works but for my tank it doesnt because the original fish want to eat the food in the safety box and that causes agression to whose in there. Then once their released they pick and bite untill they cant swim in my tank

This is also for fish coming out of my QT going into DT or healthy looking fish thats eating coming from store to DT.

Hope it helps.....

If i was blabbing and something didnt make sence im sure i can break a step down.

Atleast this is what i do... but next time gary 2.0 acts out...hes going in the sump

Last edited:

tinman

Just to be sure, I do not think you got blue headed wrasse, I was at their store on saturday and they did not have any. They used to have some before.
This is blue headed wrasse, and its not a fairly wrasse:
https://www.google.com/search?q=blue+headed+wrasse&safe=active&rlz=1C1OPRB_enUS596US596&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_q7yQpIDOAhVCYiYKHfRLB9wQ_AUICCgB&biw=1366&bih=643

You probably got blue sided wrasse that I saw there a day before you.
https://www.google.com/search?q=blue+sided+fairy+wrasse&safe=active&sa=X&rlz=1C1OPRB_enUS596US596&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0ahUKEwjnwrjUpIDOAhXEZiYKHbm3C2MQsAQIJA

Obviously it does not change anything in this tough situation.
Used to have few different wrasses at the same time, including blue sided. He was the boss of the other wrasses, he was harassing them. Without acclimating box inside the tank its hard to add any to existing ones.
In my case he left Solorensis and Red Velvet/Rosy Scale wrasses alone after a week or two. Still occasionally chase them away but not to the point that after a day or two I thought there was no way they were going to survive, very brutal, beating the ... out of them.
Good luck.
that is right :) blue sided wrasse .. somehow blue headed wrasse got stuck in my head, blue sided wrasse it is :)

tinman

I was saying because after multiple failed attempts ive sort of got it managed.

What i do now is i float in sump in darkness if the bag is not double bagged and the store floated the empty bag in their tank i usually put my own bag over it and float..
Then at night i wait till lights out and depending on fish class family and what they are prone to bring in. FW baths or prazi baths and then i drain the containers and do a dip in water of my tank..drain that water and finally into my tank. So with the baths the fish has time to search a place to rest at. Because the tank is in a rest mode and fish are more calm during lights out. And check in aggression in the morning if theres agression i leave the lights off and place nets used to catch fish in the tank putting all the fish in cautious fear mode thus eliminating agression(this worked even with my picasso trigger)

Reason being is if i just toss the fish in right after a dip or bath it goes in breathing heavy and doesnt have a chance to catch its breath and will be picked on because the others can sense the rapid heart beats and they go for the kill.
The safety box thing sort of works but for my tank it doesnt because the original fish want to eat the food in the safety box and that causes agression to whose in there. Then once their released they pick and bite untill they cant swim in my tank

This is also for fish coming out of my QT going into DT or healthy looking fish thats eating coming from store to DT.

Hope it helps.....

If i was blabbing and something didnt make sence im sure i can break a step down.

Atleast this is what i do... but next time gary 2.0 acts out...hes going in the sump
i was just messing with you :)

wow thats like fish psycho treatment ahaha ... i dont have that much time lol i feel like i should get out of hobby till 9pm everyday and that one hour between 9 and 10 at night, tank adds soo much to the peace and makes me keep going ..

Rcunning8

Premium member
Place bets around the tank for two days I have this issue everytime I introduce a new leopard works like a charm, when aggression stops take the nets out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrasse

Hey Tinman, I would have called him blueheaded as well. Liveaquaria calls them "Bluehead Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura)" most other places call them Blue sided wrasse.
I think you have the right idea to get rid of the new guy. Just think, your tank is worth fighting for in the eyes of your other wrasse. :THIS_IS_SPARTA:

Last edited:

Gav

You can also try catching the blue sided wrasse and placing him into an acclimation box in the tank. One of the clear plastic reptile carriers with the ventilated tips from petco work great for this. The larger the better.

Gav

Also let me know if you want to remove it altogether and we can get you a partial credit if he's not too bad.