Bubble algae?

jrpark22000

Premium member
Yep, red bubble algae. Got it in my sump. Grows slow enough, it gets bright red dots on the bubbles when they get large.

http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=60

Red Bubble Algae, Botryocladia

Red Bubble Algae is one of the Botryocladia species, (probably skottsbergeii or pyriformis) . Some of the Botryocladia species, like Botryocladia occidentalis, are desirable. The main difference between an invasive species of Botryocladia and a desirable one is how it grows. Desirable species grow up from branches, and invasive species creep along the rock just leaving hard to remove bubbles. Some are in between both in risk and branch development.

Manual Removal - Don't be clumsy and spread this one. Get em small, cover them with a baster, scrape the baster along the rock, when the bubble comes off release the plunger and suck it up. Discard and repeat. If you have a lot to do, by the time you are done you will be ready to add new mixed water to complete the water change. Be aggressive with your manual removal.

Clean Up Crew- Emerald and Ruby Mithrax Crabs will eat it, as well some Rabbitfish. Juvenile Mithrax are generally best for the task, the smaller the better.

I tried removing some of the whatever it is and the shell it is on underneath moved/closed! Somehow for the past 8 months there has been a mollusk or something living in my tank. Well, I have no idea.

Bommie

Have u tried using phosphate media or carbon ...i run it sometimes and it helps....the bubble becomes clear and eventually breaks off

jrpark22000

Premium member
I tried removing some of the whatever it is and the shell it is on underneath moved/closed! Somehow for the past 8 months there has been a mollusk or something living in my tank. Well, I have no idea.
I've got a few small mollusks/bivalves. Hitchhikers that found a place they like and stay put. They don't open very far, have a quite small foot and close when you touch them. They are benign.

SkullV

I've got a few small mollusks/bivalves. Hitchhikers that found a place they like and stay put. They don't open very far, have a quite small foot and close when you touch them. They are benign.
Yep, some places even sell the little guys as "Filtering Clams" and other weird names.

Postscript - so I tried to pull it off, but was only successful in ripping off part of the algae. After letting it grow for a few weeks it was large enough for me to easily yank it off the bivalve.