Cable Management

Emisis

Well for lack of anything else, my cable management sucked from all the additions and change out of equipment (still does as of now too) I ran out of room in the stand and had to come up with a "plan" to straighten up the mess and hide the top off reservoir. Seeing the thread by M.Miller about burning the house down I needed to stop putting this off. I found a pre-finished cabinet that for now will suit my needs, it is a upper kitchen cabinet 18"wX12'dx30"h. I started the clean up and never realized how many cords I had entangled and strung through the place. I didn't even know exactly what plug controlled what, it was usually trial and error by unplugging the cord and seeing what stopped. I purchased a label maker to straighten that mess out and labeled all the cords, chargers and convertors. This is my start and will update along the way. I have an issue with one of the RKL buss cords not being long enough to reach in to the cabinet so I have one on order and will complete this soon.

This is the "plan"
View attachment 5357

This is a mess and a fire waiting to happen if it overflows
View attachment 5358

More of a cluster &^$!
View attachment 5359

Battery back up !?!?
View attachment 5360

Some labeling
View attachment 5361

Little bit better, needs a good vacuum job
View attachment 5362

It's getting there
View attachment 5363

Cr@p cord too short!?!?!?! Had to stop here, ordered and hopefully tomorrow it will be here!!!
View attachment 5364

jayjigga

That's so awesome...I plan to put all my led drivers, and all the other crap from the Apex in ma stand, but I'm seriously considering using an old CPU case to house everything and keep it safe from unnecessary splashing and what not. The only thing is losing that space that could go to an ATO reservoir or otherness. Labeling is definitely a great step in the organized direction. Can't wait to see this clean up :)

chicagophil

I'm also going to be playing the "cleanup the spaghetti" game. I'm going to be mounting some plywood to the wall, then my DC8s and different modules up and out of the way. - this is my current sump configuration. in the remote sump room of course. Way more chaos when I setup my frag tank and frag station in there.and a 35 gallon salt water reservoir.View attachment 5368

saltymike

You are an inspiration to us all. Everyday that I look at my cluster I say that I'm gonna do something about it but I still haven't. Maybe I'll try tomorrow.

Emisis

This is what is plugged in:

Main power strip
PC4- contains- Heater, Fuge fan, Fuge pump, Return pump
Lights- cord to power strip for LED drivers- Drivers X5
ATO
Skimmer feed pump
Skimmer Pump
Reactor pump
MP 40 LH
MP 40 RH
Battery Back Up
LED Fan controller/ 2 plugs for now until I build off of my modded P/C fan controller

I have velcro ties, cable loops and a lot of work ahead of me !!!!! I am also out of curiosity going to plug this mess in to my kil-a-watt and see what it pulls for watts and amps from the wall. :shocked:

Emisis

You are an inspiration to us all. Everyday that I look at my cluster I say that I'm gonna do something about it but I still haven't. Maybe I'll try tomorrow.
I have been saying that too, and finally decided I had to bite the bullet. I have a lot of pressure now to make this look good and tidy since I posted it LOL That was a reason I posted, no half a--in it now!! You see the power strip next to the fuge, well there was one under the reactor too. Every time I changed out the carbon and GFO I had to pull the strip out and cover it with paper towels and hope I didnt spill. The more I thought about M.Millers post, the more reason to get it done!!!

Emisis

Made a little progress so far, doesn't look like much. It is "OK" so far, the holes for the PC4's cords are a little bigger than I wanted but it works. The hole for the MP controls allow me to remove the controller or the dry side either way if need be. I still have a long way to go..............

Little Better

View attachment 5412

Getting There

View attachment 5413

My OCD sensors are buzzing like MAD!! My clutter is kept tame on the roof of my stand with industrial velcro. I do need go under there and clean up soon.

Good job and good luck. It's an ongoing battle unless you have a huge stand.

Emisis

Made a little more progress tonight, but all is going well for the most part. I am only a little disappointed with it so far because of the screws I chose to use. They are a little too long and "pop" on the inside of the cabinet. (won't see it anyway, but I'll know it's there) It was the shortest I could find that I felt would have good holding power long term in particle board back of the cabinet.

Little More Progress

View attachment 5470