Calcium Levels!!!

Lil BamBam

Premium member
At what levels does it start becoming an issue? I just tested my CAL yesterday as I failed to test after making changes to the doser.. I’m at 500 right now :blue:

Doser is turned off for CAL until it starts to come down

SkullV

From what I can tell with Calcium, it never really becomes an issue. It just precipitates out when it becomes too high. Not like Alk where it relates to pH and will cause tank crashes.

maidia

Team CR
My cal one time up to 700 and now like 380 with no issue...Like Ted said, CAL is not an issue like ALK...

Tank2379

you should be good, if you want it to come down just keep an eye on your Alk levels as this will drop fast. Especially if you have tons of SPS in your System.

madjoe

Premium member
Yea only issues ive heard of is sand bed turning hard and pumps building up up calcium deposits. I had mine go to 680 before everything lived and none of those issues happened . Did clean my pumps after it dropped though just in case

cet98

unless your taking estrogen supplements, I wouldn't worry Papi....I take 500mg of Calcium a day and I'm perfectly normal......:faint:

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Cet98, you aren’t normal cause you hang around Madjoe..lol!! :friendly_wink:

I won't worry!! I'm just going to reduce the dosage and hope that my corals explode in growth.. They do look fatter though :pig:

Is alk supposed to be consumed much more than ca ? I'm barely loosing any calcium I've been testing for a week now at roughly the same time and adding 1 teaspoon a day of reef builder... Ph is 8.2 and mag is like 1250 ca is 420/430 I added a little BRS ca dosing solution via their calculator and it brought it from 420-430 just as stated with the dosing ammount according to my salifert while I added 1.25 tsp of reef builder and the tank ate it all in 24hrs... I'm at 6.77 again I started at 5.8 last Tuesday funny thing is my corals look great I just wanna get it in the 8's or high 7 range maybe I'm over cautious and going to slow... Any help appreciated

madjoe

Premium member
Is alk supposed to be consumed much more than ca ? I'm barely loosing any calcium I've been testing for a week now at roughly the same time and adding 1 teaspoon a day of reef builder... Ph is 8.2 and mag is like 1250 ca is 420/430 I added a little BRS ca dosing solution via their calculator and it brought it from 420-430 just as stated with the dosing ammount according to my salifert while I added 1.25 tsp of reef builder and the tank ate it all in 24hrs... I'm at 6.77 again I started at 5.8 last Tuesday funny thing is my corals look great I just wanna get it in the 8's or high 7 range maybe I'm over cautious and going to slow... Any help appreciated
I was told that optimal is 1:1 ratio with that said i never git mine to 1:1 ratio ive always had to dose more calcium then alk not much more but more none the less and i keep my alk at 10 but as far as i know im one of few that keep alk at 10

see i thought the tank would consume more calcium as well... maybe its not near a 1:1 since the numbers arent in the sweet spots

SkullV

see i thought the tank would consume more calcium as well... maybe its not near a 1:1 since the numbers arent in the sweet spots
1:1 is only the theoretical ratio when using balanced additives (i.e Seachem Reef Fusion 1 and 2, or BRS 1/2). The typical uptake (and ratio in saturated limewater) is 20ppm Cal to 2.8dkH Alk. It is not abnormal at all to have issues with the 1:1 ratio even when using balanced additives due to the number of different species, rocks, plants, etc. we keep in a closed environment.

SkullV

BRS 2part

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Which formula?

Edit: never mind looks like they only sell one formula now.

When you say you use 2x Alk are you saying that you are dosing 4.8dkH equivalent for every 20ppm of cal equivalent or twice as many ml of solution?

Last edited:

ColaAddict

Which formula?

Edit: never mind looks like they only sell one formula now.

When you say you use 2x Alk are you saying that you are dosing 4.8dkH equivalent for every 20ppm of cal equivalent or twice as many ml of solution?
I'm talking milliliters a :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk