Calcium Reactor Smell

fishyfish22

Premium member
Hey guys. So i had my calcium reactor set up and for the longest time it ran flawlessly, only issue was that the media wasnt dissolving. I read up on it and the media we were using wasn't the right one

we switched over to TLF ReBorn Calcium reactor media.

The first time we set it up with the new media, we noticed that the tank stared smelling horrible. it was a rotten egg smell, we looked closer and it was coming from the calcium reactor.

we tore it down and washed it with bleach. recently we set it up again, even ordered new tlf media but yesterday I noticed that the smell is back again. It's coming from the effluent. I really don't know what to do at this point, does anyone have any idea what could be going on?

Calcium reactor is a CR-140 using a aquatrance 3000s pump

Reefaholic

Premium member
Hey guys. So i had my calcium reactor set up and for the longest time it ran flawlessly, only issue was that the media wasnt dissolving. I read up on it and the media we were using wasn't the right one

we switched over to TLF ReBorn Calcium reactor media.

The first time we set it up with the new media, we noticed that the tank stared smelling horrible. it was a rotten egg smell, we looked closer and it was coming from the calcium reactor.

we tore it down and washed it with bleach. recently we set it up again, even ordered new tlf media but yesterday I noticed that the smell is back again. It's coming from the effluent. I really don't know what to do at this point, does anyone have any idea what could be going on?

Calcium reactor is a CR-140 using a aquatrance 3000s pump

I was going to set up a calcium reactor for one of my tanks but never got around to it. But I do remember reading something about the Media getting clogged overtime and slowing down the flow/not enough flow,which will cause the sulfur/rotten eggs smell. How long does it run for before the smell begins?