calling all nerds lol.

mr_z

heres my situation i got into a small argument on another forum about the dumbest thing ever. the guy somehow got all my information full name, address, etc. how is he doing this. i know hes not a mod or anything because you cant even get that kind of info or even administrator. ive seen him get other peoples info also hes kind of a dbag helps people get others info so they can go start problems i guess. and i dont think that anything can get done about him on the forum because hes a top member by what it looks. anyone have any idea how he is doing it. i took a few networking classes and i know theres a program called wireshark that captures ip addresses and i know it can be used to cause other mischief but idk. let me know guys pm me if needed and if i cant be asking stuff on here let me know and i wont ask again.

Catran

Wow, sounds like he has waaaay too much time on his hands! I hope he doesn't cause you any problems. That's too bad but a good warning to others to keep an eye out for someone like him. I've met nothing but really nice, helpful people in this hobby. Sorry you had a bad experience with someone.

Pufferpunk

LOL, he's not the only one. Some are joining this forum just to give me a hard time. Just realize these folks are miserable people & you're better than that!

fastrc

I can get alot of info from an ip address especially if you aren't on a router, It's easy to do. I hope we don't receive any other annoying people here like that one or the 2 that had to be made to leave.

mr_z

No it's on an automotive forum. And I no you can get info if your not behind a router buti am behind one and he still manages to do it. And when he did it to me he obviously did it quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fastrc

Automotive guys are the worst!!! lol i'm a ASE master tech and i use some auto forums but i don't ask or reply i just search sometimes.

mr_z

Lol yeah I no we r but I'm kind of a gearhead lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PufferMan

Hey Rene, Hate to hear when people are jerks like that. Unfortunately, I don't know of much you can do. However, what he is doing is most likely much less complex than you think. I work in IT, and the stuff you are talking about is possible, however requires lots of time and effort. Check this out though. I simply looked at your profile, which contains your full name, along with your location. Try doing a google search containing just your full name, along with your city and state. I was quickly able to find the info you said the jerk got from you. There is also a website called spokeo.com. It's like a super digital phonebook, that knows more about most people than they would like.

Pretty creepy huh? Scares the crap out of me how much info is floating out on the internet for anyone to see.

mr_z

yeah but on my profile in that forum i dont share anything like that because i know it being a car forum stuff gets out of hand.

mr_z

he said it once watch ill get all your info in a matter oseconds so i dared him and one post later there it was my address and name. idk i think hes using a program like wireshark to get info but i just cant figure it out

PufferMan

Hmmm. Yeah, if he doesn't have that info, then it certainly makes it more difficult. He must have something configured to be able to do that on demand then, you may be right, he might be pulling you IP somehow and using that to get your info. That takes a pretty big jerk to have that whole setup ready to go at a moments notice.

Forfend

Google has all the answers when you know what to search for. I've found people on other forums under a different name but using that same
Photobucket account name to host pics. There really is no such thing as inherently anonymous.

mr_z

Found a post where someone is talking crap about someone not even on the forum at all. All he did was provide an email and by the looks on the timestamps on the post it took him about 5 minutes to find and post his full name and address.

Forfend

Found a post where someone is talking crap about someone not even on the forum at all. All he did was provide an email and by the looks on the timestamps on the post it took him about 5 minutes to find and post his full name and address.

You apparently don't know how deep google searches. You can make links between shared account names, shared emails, the same wrong spelling of a word and tune your google search to pay attention to that particular thing. Get far enough and you can probably reset his/her password using security questions from answers you found on their facebook, myspace, forum boards or what have you.

scotty

i can take a phone number that i don't know, put it in a google search, and get providers, names, addresses, in about .5 seconds. it can be done, easily, which is why identity theft is so prevalent. I would strongly recommend you stop using your last name on anything online rene. can't really do much with just a first name and an IP address. but he can start stuff with your credit, without your SSN. and if he actually spent the time to find you out, he will start credit lines in your name.