Cannister Filter

kdog23

What is everyone's thoughts on a canister filter and small fuge over a sump set up. My girlfriend keeps complaining about noise/smell..etc and it is usually the skimmer being nice and full of skim I'm sure. My thoughts were maybe the canister filter would be quite and the carbon would remove most of the waste. I have seen guys with this set-up in the past so I thought I would get some thoughts on this. Thanks !

gmguy496

what skimmer r u running mabe get a quieter skimmer my tank is with 5ft of my bed and the only complaint i get is bout the light when she sleeps in

kdog23

I ran a 40b reef for a yr with a cannister, and hob skimmer. Just keep it clean, amd your good to go.
How did you like the canister ? Did the water seem cleaner-less smells (not my wording-LOL)....I love having a sump but I am getting beat down on this lol.

Pufferpunk

When you say clean out do you mean like a sponge or something else ? I clean out the skimmer at least once a week too.
What are you planning on using for media in there? It would have to be thoroughly rinsed weekly. Detritus buildup = nitrate.

kdog23

What are you planning on using for media in there? It would have to be thoroughly rinsed weekly. Detritus buildup = nitrate.
I am not 100 percent sure---probably carbon - foam pads - but probably nothing like bio balls. I sure would rather have an awesome fuge like yours-trust me !