Cannot raise alk--suggestions?

adubson

Update:

After my water change, magnesium came back to around 1400, so I left that be. I bought a jebao dp4 dosing pump from aquapros and began dosing Randy's recipe 1. I set it up to dose 120 ml each split into 5 times throughout the day. After a day or two of that, I tested my alk and it was 7.5. Not falling fast but still falling since the post water change measurement.

I upped the dose to 150 ml each per day. Today, my alk is back to 6 again! So I've upped the dose to 200 ml per day to see if that helps.

I have the doses fed into the sump right in front of a power head. The liquids mix in and dissolve into the sump water immediately, but I have just noticed that I'm getting precipitation on my heater in the sump.

Doesn't 200 ml of these solutions per day seem like a lot for a 75 gallon?

adubson

I haven't had the opportunity to try out or buy a different Alk test kit yet, but I did have an unopened API alk test kit laying around so I tried that out for comparison's sake. And wow, this one reads my alk at 9. I'll definitely pick up a more reliable kit when I can.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I haven't had the opportunity to try out or buy a different Alk test kit yet, but I did have an unopened API alk test kit laying around so I tried that out for comparison's sake. And wow, this one reads my alk at 9. I'll definitely pick up a more reliable kit when I can.
Great, looks like you found your problem.

madjoe

Premium member
Get a hanna

madjoe

Premium member
They're pricey! Hah
Actually not bad i paid 40$ on ebay and the refill for test r really cheap its the only level that i really need acuracy i had three api test boxes show three dif results i said same thing hanna too much api works fine i was wrong 40$ investment isnt sheit since i have coral that rely on it that cost sixty or more a 1 inch piece

adubson

For sure. I'll probably buckle down and get one. The thing is I should probably get a phosphate one too, and then it gets expensive

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Yep, my Hannah alk tester is one of my most used pieces of equipment. Best $50 I've spent on my tank. Those color wheel tests are no fun when you test alk 2-3 times a week.

madjoe

Premium member
For sure. I'll probably buckle down and get one. The thing is I should probably get a phosphate one too, and then it gets expensive
Nah i have phosphate one it always reads zero so i stopped useing it waste of money just get hanna for alk i use api for calcium because honestly as long as its up there dosent need to be that accurate