Canon S95

joetekyun

Hello all, my wife has a Canon S95 and neither of us know how to really use it well (the auto mode normally is awesome). When I try to take macro pictures of coral, it's just all blurry and weird. Any thoughts?

joetekyun

Yes, I read online that maybe I need to literally put the camera RIGHT against the glass? that's impossible while using a tripod for me, haha

FishBeard

The problem with macro shots is the refraction of light thru the glass, one solution is to be sure you are pointing the lens as perpendicular to the glass when taking the shot thru the tank. It is not a blurry shot per-se, but more of an actual multiple image the lens is capturing.

joetekyun

Thanks fish beard! I will try that. Badgus, I don't even know what a macro lens is... :) On top of that, I don't think the S95 can handle another lens since it's a point and shoot...

WeePee

are you using a tripod?
you only need a tripod for long exposure photos

Are you using a macro-lens?
the S95 is a point and shoot, its gonna be pretty hard to strap a macro lens to it.

here are my tips,
1. learn the camera. can you adjust aperture (depth of field), exposure, shutter speed, white balancing, focus point, ect. learn to use it outside auto mode.
2. as stated, take photos straight on (90deg to tank glass), and dont use a flash.
3. http://www.cultofmac.com/23651/top-10-camera-tips-for-becoming-a-better-photographer/
4. most importantly, clean the glass first!!!

another tip, but not necessary. if your camera doesn't have good shutter speed, turn off your pumps to calm the water.

BADGUS

Oh ok,i'm not too good with cameras.The wife is the one who takes pics of our fish and tanks.I asked her so that's why i responded w/o looking up the camera model.Good luck.

SunnyBNems

look for the tulip on the camera, that's for macro.

try use a tripod and remote, the pictures will come out much clearer.

fredfish13

i have the s90 which i believe was an earlier model. i use the macro setting which can be chosen with the tulip symbol. Or you can try auto. There is also an aquarium setting if you got to scenes and turn the wheel. just keep practicing with the camera to see which ones you like.

poidog

you only need a tripod for long exposure photos
Not so all the time. When using a macro lense the lense will magnify not only the subject but also your hand shake. This will be much more noticable when shooting subjects in our tanks due to the lighting and settings needed to capture the image correctly. IMO anything longer than a 1/200 with the macro lense will blur due to camera shake. Outdoors, in a sunny environment, when you are using say a 1/500 shutter speed you will be fine without a tripod using a macro.

A remote is a good feture to to have as well. You can get a cheap one for under $10 on amazon. This, along with a tripod will eliminate any camera shake, and crystal clear pictures.