Chaeto is melting away!

My chaeto is melting. Possibly due to lack of nitrate ? I do have a bunch of hair algae so maybe they out compete the chaeto ?
Temp 79F, Salinity 1.025, Phosphate 0 ( but I have algae so I know phosphate is there), Nitrate 0, Ammonia 0, Calcium 440, Alk 8, Mag 1500.
Fuge set up is Home Depot clip light with the 6500k cfl bulb hanging 5 inches from the water.

bryman

It could be due to the high Mg, which I assume you are doing to kill off the HA. Light and other conditions sound fine.

Did the chaeto grow, or did you drop in a huge load of it? Lots of people put too much in at first. Need enough nutrients for it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlott132

How old is your light bulb and how do you have it scheduled to come on?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Light bulb is brand new! I do not run GFO? Is my tank that clean that chaeto won't grow? Lol
Anybody trimming their chaeto and want to donate some to me? :)

bryman

Light bulb is brand new! I do not run GFO? Is my tank that clean that chaeto won't grow? Lol
Anybody trimming their chaeto and want to donate some to me? :)
How many watts is the CFL? If HA is present cheato should grow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

mlott132

Thinking your tank is not old enough yet. Have the same setup on my tank and my macro grows like crazy even with my gfo reactor going. How long are you running your fuge light? Mine runs from 5pm to 8am.

Thinking your tank is not old enough yet. Have the same setup on my tank and my macro grows like crazy even with my gfo reactor going. How long are you running your fuge light? Mine runs from 5pm to 8am.
My sump light stay on from 8pm to 10:30AM