Cheap Source fpr RO water.

rowdie

Also I'm guessing RO water is safe to drink. Right??
Yep, RO water is just fine for drinking (actually much better for you since tap water has crap like chloramines in it). It's the water being stripped of ions that causes it to react very easily with things. This is actually good for reefing because it is removing all contaminates, but also makes the water better for mixing with salt (the trace elements in salt mix will attach to water molecules more easily) and with top off you're just replacing evaporated water so the net trace minerals/elements remains the same.

I don't think drinking RO/DI water would really hurt you (it's basically like taking a reverse vitamin that you then pee out) unless you already have a large vitamin deficiency problem already or are drinking an extremely large amount.

Anyways it's very easy to install a small T-valve after the RO membrane and before the DI resin.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/3-way-ball-valve-with-john-guest-1-4-push-connect.html

Also in regards to setting up a RO/DI unit it's really easy, but if you do have any questions and bought a BRS unit they will walk you through the setup if you give them a call. Their customer service really is awesome.

Ajmal C

Yep, RO water is just fine for drinking (actually much better for you since tap water has crap like chloramines in it). It's the water being stripped of ions that causes it to react very easily with things. This is actually good for reefing because it is removing all contaminates, but also makes the water better for mixing with salt (the trace elements in salt mix will attach to water molecules more easily) and with top off you're just replacing evaporated water so the net trace minerals/elements remains the same.

I don't think drinking RO/DI water would really hurt you (it's basically like taking a reverse vitamin that you then pee out) unless you already have a large vitamin deficiency problem already or are drinking an extremely large amount.

Anyways it's very easy to install a small T-valve after the RO membrane and before the DI resin.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/3-way-ball-valve-with-john-guest-1-4-push-connect.html

Also in regards to setting up a RO/DI unit it's really easy, but if you do have any questions and bought a BRS unit they will walk you through the setup if you give them a call. Their customer service really is awesome.
Thank you so much Rowdie, for taking the time to explain this whole process. Definitely gained a lot of knowledge from your posts and the post in general.

Buckeye Hydro

I can't tell you how many times we've been contacted by people going through a similar experience. Seems like it happens at the grovery store dispensories, as well as at LFS's.

Russ

Ajmal C

I guess everyone neglects there cartridges in some form or the other. Moral: monitor Your OWN membranes.