Cheato Disappeared

ejwan

I have never used cheato before, but I saw the vids by BRS and it looked like it was beneficial so I gave it a try. All was well for a couple of weeks, the overnight PH seemed to be more stable. The cheato seemed nice and green and a bigger clump. I even tore some off because the clump seemed larger.

So yesterday (a month later) I looked in the refugium and the cheato was gone, Just a few strands left.

I lit the refugium with a cheap LED aquarium light, nothing special, but seemed to be plenty of light.

Any ideas, where did it go? Not enough nutrients? Did I somehow hurt it when I tore off a clump? I have no idea. I'll try again.

Anybody around Schaumburg have a clump they want to get rid of?

Irsug1

Premium member
Please post your parameters. It is possible you did not have sufficient nutrients to support cheato.

ejwan

I suspected the nutrients. I normally just monitor PH with the Apex and check alk, cal, and mag in a weekly basis. The tank has been stable for so long, a haven't checked nutrient levels in a while. I will run some checks.

ejwan

I think you are right. I got some more cheato and I turned off the skimmner. I will see it what happens.