Cheato vs. Reactor

Siebo

Premium member
i will caution you on the BRS reactors. I hate my dual reactor. They clog really easy and are a PITA. I would grab a two little fishes reactor.

CoralN00b

I'm thinking of getting this reactor right here, because my brs duel is just too big and bulky for this setup. I'll just keep it for when I get a larger tank.
http://www.marinedepot.com/Buy_an_Innovative_Marine_Minimax_All_In_One_Desktop_Media_Reactor_and_get_AquaMaxx_Carbon_One_2_Quart_FREE_Chemical_Reactors-Innovative_Marine-0I104102-FIFRISCR-vi.html
That is exactly the one that I have. It works like a charm! I picked this one because of the easy change feature. You grab that black knob on top and can just pull all the media out in seconds. Wash it out and then it is easy. Then the same knob will control the flow for you too, while in the tank.

It takes up a small footprint too. I am a bit of a ways from you but you are welcome to check mine out in person if you want. Aquatica is the only place that had them readily available in stock and I was able to check them out before purchasing.

I think [MENTION=569]Jep21[/MENTION] has it also.

gmguy496

i dont run pellets in my TLF reactor just phosgaurd and carbon but for 40 bucks new( bc im sure u have a pump laying around u can run on it) price cant be beat unless u diy it

2clowns

I'm running a BRS dual reacter and macro algae in the refugium. The macro is still there and staying constant. I gotta check out this stuff.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
As of Friday, my chaeto is gone. I threw it away. It wasn't really growing any more and had become brittle and was falling apart. GFO won in my tank.

Bowhunter4250

i use continuum captive phos w works very well for me , better than the BRS bulk gfo and pound for pound cheaper ! i too have chaeto in my fuge but it wont grow ... i set up an algae scrubber and im going to pull the chaeto out ... i have a 75 gal. tank that was my fuge , one side has about 125# of live rock .. then the center space that the chaeto was in , then the return side ... so what do i fill in the center now that i pull the chaeto ? and correct me if im wrong , but dont you want a little bit of po4 and NO3 ? especially if you have SPS ? didnt think you want zero ?

skyon888

Here’s how I manage Phosphates and Nitrates in my 60 gallon.

In order to keep Nitrates under control I grow chaeto in the sump and perform 15 gallon bi-weekly water changes. My nitrates are always undetectable with the Salifert test kit.

The chaeto and water changes also keep my phosphates down, though they do climb over time. I can usually tell by just looking at the tank when phosphates are getting high, and I’ll verify with a Hanna Phosphorous checker (not the phosphate checker, phosphorous is a much higher resolution). I run a BRS dual reactor (never had any clogging issues) that I constantly run carbon in, and I’ll leave the GFO chamber empty except when my phosphates start to get high. That’s when I’ll throw a cup of GFO in the chamber and run it for a month, it brings my phosphates back down to zero and I pitch the spent GFO. I really only have to run the GFO once every few months.

I would venture into bio-pellets but I like having a sump section full of chaeto to keep my pod population up for my mandarin.

Smitty

Premium member
Since I've been running the IM reactor with gfo inside it, my corals, especially sps, have been coloring up and growing very well. My cheato doesn't seem to be growing much, but it's not dying neither. I'm thinking of getting another IM reactor to tumble carbon in it vs just placing a bag of it in the sump. I like these reactors because they don't take up much space, and you can control the tumble/flow with just the twist of the knob. I never have to worry about zero phosphates, because I feed heavily and dose acropower.