ChicagoReefs.com Official Sizzlin' Summer '13 Paly GrowOut Contest

Winning Pay-Outs (Based on 30 participants)

• 1st: 50% $75 / 2nd: 30% $45 / 3rd: 20%: $30

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1st: 70% $105 / 2nd: 30% $45

• 1st: 60% $90 / 2nd: 40% $50

• Total voters

Jimbojames

I picked up frag a little later then most, im putting it in my 29 gallon moving it to the 65 gallon in a few weeks will do right up on that system when i move it, chong bong is in cheap 29 gallon system with a maxijet pump and a canister filter, and 2 T5 bulbs, will update with picure when light goes on. hope i didnt miss the growout deadline.

View attachment 16628

pasphotography

Sorry for the delay. Video card went out in pc and had no way to attach on here.
View attachment 16663

130gal Tank w20gal. sump
T5 lighting (changes monthly) 2- 54watt, 5- 39watt bulbs currently.
Dosing Mrs.Wages for calcium and Vitamin C daily.
Monthly water changes
Feeding Rods, Algae Sheets, random other crap.
Picked up on July 1st. one of the last ones but shooting for top 5 again after last contest!!!! ... my Im comin for ya Brah comment! HA

Good Luck All.

Akwarius

I love this contest idea. Chong bong should yield great results. Over the years, my Chongs have proven hardy and consistently produce 2-4 polyps/mo.

One question, and sorry if this is already covered somewhere, is the polyp skin glued to the tile directly, or is a piece rock that the polyp attaches to glued to the tile? Are the frags consistently one way or the other? The latter can greatly inhibit growth (initially).

tkh

I believe each polyp is glued directly to the frag tile. You should hop in on the next one we run! They are a lot of fun :) (also your avatar is awesome, lol)

tinman

I love this contest idea. Chong bong should yield great results. Over the years, my Chongs have proven hardy and consistently produce 2-4 polyps/mo.

One question, and sorry if this is already covered somewhere, is the polyp skin glued to the tile directly, or is a piece rock that the polyp attaches to glued to the tile? Are the frags consistently one way or the other? The latter can greatly inhibit growth (initially).
Wait a min you mean "a piece rock that the polyp attaches to glued to the tile" inhibits growth initially ?? i thought its the other way around..

DB9181

It all depends on the colony itself but typically, yes we try and have at least a little bit of rubble attached. All frags always come from the same colony to try and keep things equal, but we try to keep it to just the polyp and not extra matting because that would give someone more of an advantage over others, and you can keep 'matting amount' equal across the board of 30+ frags.

DD

"Rambo"

You know what, that makes a lot of sense. My frags that were glued directly onto the frag plugs grew at a more rapid rate than the polyps chiseled and glued with a small piece of rock attached. I never thought about that correlation though.

DB9181

Having a little piece of rubble makes it much easier to glue the polyp down securely... it also does not irritate or damage the polyp itself verses basically cutting it off the rock. It also largely depends on your gluing method/how much glue you use.

Akwarius

You know what, that makes a lot of sense. My frags that were glued directly onto the frag plugs grew at a more rapid rate than the polyps chiseled and glued with a small piece of rock attached. I never thought about that correlation though.
The opposite is true in my experience. Sorry if I stated that poorly. A frag with no glue touching the polyp skin is ideal.

Thanks for answering my question, DB9181. Nice to hear you make an effort to level the playing field with standardized starter frags. Doesnt sound easy!

tinman

yep that makes sense .. i was confused as you stated latter i think by mistake :)

and WELCOME TO THE SITE Akwarius :) good to have you here ..

The opposite is true in my experience. Sorry if I stated that poorly. A frag with no glue touching the polyp skin is ideal.

Thanks for answering my question, DB9181. Nice to hear you make an effort to level the playing field with standardized starter frags. Doesnt sound easy!

Jimbojames

Moved chong bong from 29 gallon system to 65 gallon system, heres a quick update on system

Equipment list:
65 gallon reef ready with sump
Eheim Jager 200 watt
Eheim 1250 Return pump
70 Pounds dry Reefrocks.net rock (got from local wholesaler)
80 pounds dry reefrocks.net sand (got from local wholesaler)
2 x Hydor koralia 1400/1500
Evergrow LED It2060 runs from 6am to 10am

Livestock:

Yellow Tang
2 x clownfish (will return for booyahs darkside)
Midas Blenny

Corals:

Zoanthids:
Eagle Eyes
Goochsters
Gorilla Nipples

SPS:
Forest Fire Digitata
Red Montipora

LPS:
Frogspawn

http://db.tt/LPzWQPRj

DD

"Rambo"
Update time:

My chong bong frag has the original polyp + 2 babies and a baby bump forming. Square tile on the right.

Again, sorry for the crappy pic, my lights are off and I had a few minutes to use a flashlight and iphone.